The Power of Words Tooth Paste Illustration (FREE & EDITABLE)

Each fall (still early in the school year but far into enough that I've started to get to know my students and can speak frankly to them) I plan for this oh-so-importat lesson on the power of words.
I start out my telling my students that I am going to tell them a
big lie.
They start giggling but sit quietly, waiting for what I'm about to say.

I pause.
Then I quote:
"Sticks and stones may break my bones,
but words will never hurt me."

I begin the illustration like this:
Each time you speak, you words come out like toothpaste.
I walk around the classroom and talk,
squirting toothpaste messily out onto a cookie sheet as I go. 
I say sarcastic comments, "funny" jokes at someone else's expense, insults, thoughtless comments, etc. as I squeeze it all over the place.

Then I pull out the toothbrushes. Each tooth brush has a sign attached to it:

And I try to use the toothbrushes to get the toothpaste neatly back in the tube, reading the labels:
"I'm sorry."
"I didn't mean it."
"It was just a joke."


But it never works.
In the end, we're still left with a mess:

Thus proving my point:
Words have power.
Words have weight.
Words make a lasting impact.

Teach your students about the importance of thinking twice before they speak with this impactful lesson.

I have created a FREE & EDITABLE resource for you to use if you'd like to try this object lesson with your students:
It also includes the print-and-go PDF of the labels for the toothpaste and toothbrushes. The resource also includes an EDITABLE Power Point presentation if you'd like to create your own labels for the tooth paste:

Like this idea?
Pin it for later!

If you use this resource in your classroom I'd love to see it! Send me an e-mail and I'll feature you on my blog! 


~~~~I'll leave you with one final thought:As teachers, we also have the power.The power to build up or to break down.
The power to stimulate or to criticize.The power to motivate or to wound.
These refer to the words we say to students and about students.

Here's a quote I have hanging in my classroom:

No comments

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top