April Showers Bring...Reading Hours! Book Project for ANY Book

Living in Seattle, I am no stranger to rain.
But it's okay - we're used to it. 
We've learned to look at the bright side:



Because rain is a "fact of life" around here, I like to incorporate rain-themed activities into my lesson planning each spring. As I was writing my April lesson plans, I finished my April Fool's Day plans (which you can read about here) and I started thinking about the phrase "April showers bring May flowers" - and that's when I decided to put a little spin on the common adage:
April Showers Bring May Flowers Reading Hours!

We all know the adage "April Showers Brings May Flowers" - well this is a fun twist on the expression that can be used to motivate students to read and deepen their comprehension and re-telling skills.  "April Showers Bring...Reading Hours" is a fun and engaging resource that includes everything you need to assign, complete, and assess a project that can be used with ANY BOOK! (picture book or chapter book). Created by Jessica Lawler @ Joy in the Journey

"April Showers Bring...Reading Hours" is an engaging resource that includes everything you need to assign, complete, and assess a project that can be used with ANY BOOK! (picture book or chapter book) and is the perfect thing to motivate students to read and deepen their comprehension and re-telling skills.

First of all, your students need to pick a book.
Here are some of my favorite spring-related picture books:
And here are some chapter books I've read recently that would be great for the middle grades:

Then, once they've read the book, they fill out the raindrop report booklet.
The project asks your students to create a raindrop booklet that assesses their reading comprehension and understanding of basic story elements. The pages include:
1. Cover
2. Setting
3. Main Characters
4. Retelling: Beginning
5. Retelling: Middle
6. Retelling: End
7. My Favorite Part
8. Problem/Solution
9. Theme
10. Something New I Learned
11. My Rating of the Book (1-5 stars) and Why

And to make your life easier, the packet also includes a rubric for the teacher to use when grading the project.

Note: There are two versions of the raindrop booklet included– half-size and full-page.



This would make an excellent bulletin board display! Each year I would display the booklets in the hallway and then, once taken down, I would put them in a special bin in our classroom library - 
it was a wonderful way for the students to get book recommendations from their classmates. 


Visit my TPT store to purchase this print-and-go packet: April Showers Bring Reading Hours Book Project

Or you can pin this idea for later:
We all know the adage "April Showers Brings May Flowers" - well this is a fun twist on the expression that can be used to motivate students to read and deepen their comprehension and re-telling skills.  "April Showers Bring...Reading Hours" is a fun and engaging resource that includes everything you need to assign, complete, and assess a project that can be used with ANY BOOK! (picture book or chapter book). Created by Jessica Lawler @ Joy in the Journey

Happy April! :)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.