Fuel Your Faith: First Things First

Ever feel like your prayer life is nothing more than a grocery list?
I have.
Too often my prayer time is an obligatory recitation of a list of people and their needs.
Is it important to lift others up in prayer?
Absolutely.
Can we go to the throne of grace with our needs and requests?
Yes.
God promises to hear our prayers: 
{1 John 5:14 This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.}

But, like Jesus modeled in Matthew 6:9-13, we need to put first things first in our prayer lives.
Our initial focus should not be on the list of needs we have (be they great or small) but instead on the infinite God that we serve. Spending a few moments recognizing God for who He is and thanking Him for His gracious love and forgiveness shifts our perspective. It takes the emphasis off of ourselves and puts it back on the Creator. Then, with our hearts recharged and focused, we can bring our requests before the Lord and trust that He is faithful to hear us.

I recently heard the song "First" by Lauren Daigle on the radio and the lyrics really spoke to my heart. 
Before I bring my need
I will bring my heart
Before I lift my cares
I will lift my arms
I hope the lyrics resonated with you as well.

Don't know where to start?
Here is a site with 10 Bible Verses that focus on different
praise-worthy qualities of God:
I challenge you to choose one or two and focus on them as you start your next prayer time.

So, dear friends, bring your heart to the throne of grace.
God is there waiting for you.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.