Back to School Blog Hop, Upper-Elementary-Style!


Hello friends!
Can you believe how quickly the summer has FLOWN BY? 
It's crazy to think that we're already talking Back to School!

To help you in your BTS preparations, 
I have a fun FREEBIE for you!
Though I loved being in a self-contained classroom and teaching each subject, my favorite to teach in my 5th grade classroom was Social Studies.
I love making the past come alive for my kiddos - and it was so encouraging to see them mature as they developed empathy for those who lived before them. It expands their horizons and gives them a broader perspective on life - and what 10 year old doesn't need that? :)

In 5th grade, our history curriculum covers 1900-the present, chronologically. I decided to utilize the sequence of our chapters to create a "passport" for my students to keep track of their "travels through history."
At the end of each unit that we studied in Social Studies, I gave my students a Passport Page to complete. It acted as a study guide before the unit test and then was compiled into their Passport Folders that we added to all year long.

The packet comes with complete teacher directions and suggestions
My students filled out a page for: World War 1, The Roaring 20s, The Great Depression, World War 2, the 1950s, the Civil Rights Movement, the Korean War, the 1980s, and the War of Terror.

Depending on your curriculum or scope of study, you can customize the page to meet your classroom needs:


Then, at the end of the year, have the students look back through their "Passports" and reflect on the different "stops" that they made:

Click here to snag this freebie:
If you download the packet, please leave feedback!
*Note: if you use this resource in your classroom, please send me an e-mail at joyinthejourneyteaching@yahoo.com and you'll be featured on my blog!

Next stop on this wonderful hop:
Check out Lisa's blog and snag her awesome FREEBIE!

Keep hopping for the chance to WIN BIG!
Enter the rafflecopter below for your chance to win some 
TpT cash!

a Rafflecopter giveaway

7 comments

  1. Yay! I love your freebie. I can't wait to use it in Social Studies this year. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! What a great way to review and reflect!

    Nichole
    The Craft of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea! I like how students can use it for a study guide and then as a reflection piece at the end of the year. Thanks for sharing!
    Tammy
    Literacy Loves Company

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to use this for Social Studies! Thank you for sharing your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, social studies is not my favorite subject to teach, but I think this idea will help a lot! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would have helped big time when I was in the Regular Ed Classroom. I never quite knew what to do with SS.

    Deniece
    This Little Piggy Reads

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top