Fuel Your Faith: Freedom to Choose

There's a story that has been told about a man in the mid 1800s who went to a slave auction and purchased a young slave girl. 

As they walked away from the auction, the man turned to the girl and told her, "You're free."

With amazement she responded, "You mean, I'm free to do whatever I want?"
"Yes," he said.
"And to say whatever I want to say?"
"Yes, anything."
"And to be whatever I want to be?"
"Yep."
"And even go wherever I want to go?"
"Yes," he answered with a smile. "You're free to go wherever you'd like."

She looked at him intently and replied, "Then I will go with you."
(Tullian Tchividjian, Surprised by Grace (Crossway, 2014), page 182)

This is a powerful story that shows the heart of Jesus. He came to earth to set us free from the bondage of sin - but He gives us a choice. The choice to choose Him over the fleeting pleasures of this world. The choice to submit our will to His for the promise of a better way. The choice to die to ourselves everyday, for His glory. And when we do, we find absolute freedom.

I'd love to hear what has FUELED your FAITH this week - leave a note in the comments below. 

No comments

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top