An "In-Tents" Reading Party

Happy Saturday, friends!
Sorry I have MIA in the Blogging World lately - this little teacher is trying to juggle everything on her plate with joy :)

Today I want to link up with my bud, Joanne, from 
to share a fun idea that really motivated my students this week!

We have been working hard to earn "Frequent Flyer Miles" (aka Whole Class Compliments) and this week, we put up the 10th airplane, signaling a celebration!

I gave the students three options:
1. Free Recess
2. Movie & Popcorn Party
3. Reading Party

Well, wouldn't you know that 16 out of 18 kiddos chose the READING party?!?! 
I love my class.
To make it a little bit more exciting than just an extended period of silent reading, the students were invited to bring in blankets, pillows, flashlights, and books! The day of the party, we zoomed through our work at lightning speed, so that we could have our party at the end of the day. I gave the students five minutes to build their "tents" - aka blankets on top of their desk. 
 And then they got down to READING! 
{some of my boys don't easily fit under their desks anymore :)}
They read silently and without interruptions for an hour and fifteen minutes! They only stopped because it was time to pack up and go home. They groaned when it was over!
What a memorable way to celebrate our love of reading!

What kind of party/celebration options do you give your students?


Signature

2 comments

  1. That.is.AWESOME!! What a great memory for those students too! I'd love to try this, but I have some very tough fourth graders this year and I know they'd ruin it for others. Have a great weekend!
    Theresa
    Pinkadots Elementary

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top