Throwback Thursday: Character Development in the Classroom

I'm linking up with my bud, Angela, for her weekly linky. 
Today's Throwback Thursday post comes from last October, but I thought it would be helpful for those who are already thinking about making changes for next year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To promote character development in my classroom,
I made this poster:
Each month we focus on a different character trait. On the first of the month, we discuss what the trait means and what it looks like tangibly in a young boy or girl's life. At the end of the month I honor two or three students who have worked diligently to demonstrate that character trait and sought to instill it in their lives on a daily basis. (The smiley face magnet shows which character trait we are working on for the month.)  

This is an awesome website that has definitions and activities for introducing and reviewing common positive character traits:
I've made a FREE packet of different character traits that you can print out and make a poster out of to remind your students about the character traits they can focus on.
The FREE packet contains 12 character cards (plus 2 blank templates)
*NOTE: these are not Christian-specific, so public school teachers can use for teaching character development (which ALL kids need!)
Here are some samples:
 
I've also created a black and white version of the cards: 
This has been such a helpful tool in my classroom - I can silently point at the poster and my message reaches my students, loud and clear :)

2 comments :

  1. Thanks so much for the free set! At one time my school was an International Baccalaureate school and we focused on traits like these daily. We all had words posted in our classrooms. Sadly we are no longer an IB school so the words have been replaced with 7 Habits posters. I like yours better!
    Carol
    Teachers Are Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this concept! I remember when you blogged about it previously, but then forgot about it in all the hustle, bustle of school. I'm so glad that you linked up for TBT with this post. I've downloaded the materials and this page. I am going to give this a go for the coming year. Will you be doing it again with your students? Do you center your devotions/Scriptures for the month around each trait?

    Angela

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.