Tried-It Tuesday: Class Wonder Wall

Today's post will be a quick one about a really easy idea you can implement in your classroom!
My class is full of curious minds who are constantly thinking beyond the text book - and sometimes beyond my knowledge base! But rather than just answering the question (if I know the answer) or looking it up (if I don't), I have started to put the responsibility to satisfy their curiosity back on the students. 
I post questions the students don’t know the answer to on an “I Wonder” board and have students look them up in an encyclopedia, in the computer lab, or at home.
The next morning, the students need to bring in the answer (written down so they can't just be told the answer by a friend) and they receive a prize (usually tickets)

This week we've been learning about the dictators in Europe before World War 2 and our wonder question was "Are any countries run by a dictator today?" Rather than just tell them the answer, I gave them the chance to do some research at home and bring in the answer.
It's fun, simple, and counteracts the instant gratification mentality - sometimes getting answers requires some work. It's an important lesson that students need to learn :)


Signature

7 comments

  1. I love that idea! So simple, but students need to focus on these "wonderings" more. Thanks for sharing! Oh, and I just might have broken into song when I read your title. "You're my wonderwall..."

    Don't Let the Teacher Stay Up Late
    Follow me on Bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely loving this idea! I started singing the song too!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great idea! My students love researching and this would be an added incentive for them to seek info out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that you give students an opportunity to research on their own - love a little initiative. I did something similar with clues to where in the world our class mascot could be...students were invited to research a place and write clues too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    Take a look at this new teacher-seller website when you have a chance.
    www.resources4teaching.com
    They offer great features not offered on any other similar sites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of a "I Wonder" board! Simple, yet effective! :)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top