Tried-It Tuesday: Story Starters

Hello friends!
Greetings from Standardized Testing Week! :)
Today I'm linking up with my bud, Holly, from Fourth Grade Flipper, to share an idea that my students ATE UP! 

My students do not love writing.
I've shared HERE how I got them engaged with writing personal narratives, but I was on the lookout for something else that would stretch their imaginations and build both their stamina and confidence as writers. Thus..."Story Starters" was born!
"Story Starters" Imaginative Writing Prompts are 24 writing task cards that provide students with the beginning sentence of a story and let their imaginations do the rest!
I printed the cards (in B&W on festive green paper to save ink!) and then put them in an envelope. 
The students came up, drew a card and grabbed a brainstorming sheet.
 Then they took the details from their Brain-storming sheet and wrote out their story:
When we were all done, I called the students up to the front to share their stories - I think it is so important to give kids the opportunity to publish and share their writing. It gives them an audience, a sense of purpose when writing, and it also helps the students develop both public speaking skills and audience member respect. Sometimes I have them just read it to a small group, for time's sake.

My students LOVED this activity - most of them begged me to let them draw again and write another story.
And looking at this group of reluctant writers, that was a HUGE accomplishment in itself :)

You can snag this fun, engaging, hassle-free, print-and-go center or whole class activity for only $2!

I'd love to give away TWO free copies to my loyal blog readers. If you'd like a chance to win this packet, please leave a comment with your name, e-mail address, and one of your favorite journal/writing prompts to use with students.
I'll choose TWO winners tomorrow night at 8pm PST.

7 comments

  1. These Story Starters look awesome! I think one of my favorite writing prompts to use would definitely have to be anything at Halloween time that involves hearing a sound or a creaking door. The kids go wild with them and get so creative!
    I'd love a set of your Story Starters!
    butterflialisun@gmail.com
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I'm always looking for ways to get students to write. This gives them a chance to be creative in a fun way. I would love this pack. Thanks for the opportunity.
    ugamler@boyertownasd.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. These would engage even the most reluctant writer. Sometimes just getting started is the hardest and these sentence starters solve that problem! Love your Brainstorming Sheet :o)
    JWtchr@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely need to get back to doing more creative writing with my students now that our ELA testing is finally over. My favorite writing prompts are ones I use in October. We do our first persuasive writing assignment at this time.
    kimquinn1970@gmail.com

    Kim
    Quinnessential Lessons

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your Story Starters unit!! My kids have such a difficult time getting started. This would help them tremendously!! My favorite writing prompt has to be the one about a Cold Wave. My kids read a Heat Wave story where there was a lot of figurative language. So they had the opportunity to write a sequel named a "Cold Wave" using hyperboles. They had a great time writing their sequel =). Hope to win this awesome unit.

    tinysmiles34@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great! My students' favorite prompt this year had to be practicing quotations, starting with a random picture. They loved it!
    Vicky
    phillips_v@nrschools.org

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your story starters look amazing, Jessica! I love your brain storming page too. My students really enjoyed the story starters we recently did where I just gave them a picture from a magazine and they had to write a cause and effect story similar to the "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" books. Thanks for linking up!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top