Tried-It Tuesday: Art, Matisse-style!

With our Art Docent (a fabulous mom who volunteers to come and teach art twice a month), we have been studying the great artists from history. 

Click HERE to see our fun activity, Michaelangelo-style:

This week we moved away from the "Ninja Turtles" as my students called them :) and learned about the interesting life of Henri Matisse.
Henri Matisse. Photo: Gisèle Freund.
After learning some background information about this famous artist, the kiddos studied different pieces of his artwork. Then we pulled out the art supplies and got busy!
(I'm linking this fun idea up with my friend, Holly, for her "Tried it Tuesday" linky)

My Art Docent found this fun idea from:

Matisse is well-known for his dancers and the juxtaposition of the human bodies from the background. So we decided to replicate his style and create our own dancers:
First we took scraps of brightly colored construction paper and covered an entire piece of white paper. 
Then each student cut black paper to create their "dancers" - each body part was cut out separately.
After the bodies were glued down, the students added clothes, hair, and various other extras!
 Didn't they turn out wonderfully?!?
I have a pretty reluctant group of artists this year, but they dove right into the project and loved it!

I'll end this post with a great quote by Matisse:
Matisse

4 comments :

  1. Funny story...when I moved to the county that I'm in now, I was teaching first grade and one of the things we did was teach Matisse. I'm going to be perfectly honest and say I had never heard of before. I probably lead a very sheltered life. Anyways...I was in my room at my parents' house this past year when I was visting California and can you believe there was a Matisse poster hanging on the wall that had been there forever and I never even paid attention or noticed it? (Sorry for the run-on sentence) Craziness! Love hearing how your parent comes in to teach Art with your kids!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even realize those were your students' artwork at first! Wow! They did an awesome job! :)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow they look great!! So gonaa try this with my kids later this term!! Thanks for the share!
    Erin
    Learning to be awesome

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.