Spark Student Motivation: Drill Sergeant for a Day

Happy Saturday, friends!
I went to my church's Good Friday service and it was incredibly moving as the choir led us through a traditional tenebrae service, which alternates music, narration readings, and candle lighting. The whole presentation was a somber and powerful message:
Good Friday ~~~ But He was pierced through for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the chastening for our well-being fell upon Him, and by His scourging we are healed. (Isaiah 53:5) NASB
I can't wait to go back for Easter Sunday, to glory in the hope that we have because the story doesn't end there. Jesus didn't stay dead - he defeated death and rose again triumphantly!

Today I want to share an idea that really motivated my kiddos:
(Linking up with Joanne from "Head Over Heels for Teaching")

We just wrapped up our Standardized Testing week and because of the schedule, our PE class time got cut. The students, as you can imagine, were less than thrilled. So I decided to have a little fun :)

On Friday, I told the students before morning recess that I needed to go to a meeting and that they would have a sub for about half an hour. I had another teacher pick them up from recess and bring them to the classroom where I had changed into gym clothes, a baseball cap, and tennis shoes. 
The kids walked in, confused, and saying, "Hey, wait a minute..." but before they could say another word, I blew a whistle and demanded that they all take a seat. I introduced myself as Sergeant Lawfull (I am full of the LAW) and told them that because they had been sitting all week, working hard, their teacher had called in an expert to whip them into tip top shape!

As you can imagine, the kids were loving this.

I marched them out to the football field and led them through intense calisthenics, all the while blowing my whistle, yelling, and calling them Cadet (last name).
Fitness Exercise Clip ArtStretch Clip Art

Then, once we were stretched and ready, I had them run.
and run.
and run some more. 
:)
This they did not love as much, but they didn't want to mess with Drill Sergeant Lawfull.

We then marched back to the classroom and proceeded to do both Math and English with Sergeant Lawfull. It was the speediest we've ever done these lessons :) If they spoke out of turn, they had to drop and do 20 push-ups! 
We had such a wonderful morning - they were eating it up and it was such a stress-reliever after the long week of testing. The students are begging for Drill Sergeant Lawfull to come back - which I think she will during the long last weeks of school :)

3 comments

  1. You're so cute Jessica! What a fun idea! I bet your kids ate it up. It's nice to see your teacher in a different role. They probably wouldn't like Mrs. Viola Swamp very much though! Thanks for sharing and linking up friend!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top