Tried It Tuesday: Review Sheets

Hello friends!
Today I want to share a quick idea that I started doing with my class this year...REVIEW SHEETS!
You may be thinking... "duh, tons of teachers use review sheets!"
And yes, you would be correct.
Many teachers hand out review sheets before test day so that the kiddos know what to focus on when preparing for the test.

But my trick is that I hand them out
on the day that we START the unit!

On the first day of each science or social studies unit,
I hand out a review sheet
(they are always green for science and yellow for social studies).

Then as we go through the chapter each day, we fill in the definitions, answer short answer questions, and label diagrams on the review sheet.
 
The day before a quiz, I have the students highlight key information that needs to be studied.
Then, by the end of the unit, they have filled out the review sheet and have only to go home and review what they've already written down. The completed review sheet is turned in on test day as a completion grade. 

And sometimes, as a bonus, I let the kids use their review sheets on the test - it rewards those who have been faithfully filling in the correct, complete answers as we go :)

Voila! A simple, easy-to-implement strategy that keeps the information fresh and relevant throughout the unit - plus it cuts down on my kiddos feeling panicky and cramming the night before the test.

What have you TRIED recently? Link up your tips and tricks with Holly over at Fourth Grade Flipper!

9 comments

  1. Hmm... I might have to try that. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking this would be such a great idea for my Civics class - which this year I am seeing on an alternating day schedule. It would mean building the study guide throughout the unit. Thank you so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice.one! Going to try this next quarter. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a genius.. seriously. Such a simple idea I would have never thought of! Thanks for sharing!

    Mandy
    The 4th Grade Journey

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you color code your paper by subject (some people make fun of me for that!). Such a great idea to tell them in advance what they're responsible for learning and I think it's a great motivator to take great notes if you might be able to use them on a test!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea. Thanks for sharing! I see this happening in the future...
    ✰Becca
    Simply 2nd Resources

    ReplyDelete
  7. This IS a wonderful idea! When I taught SS and science, I used review sheets the traditional way, but this is much better! Thanks so much for sharing, Jessica! :)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea. I have the students highlight standards and definitions as we cover them, but I like your idea!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  9. We actually have review sheets that are created by our district for each grade level... it's really amazing! We only have them for Language Arts and Math but it's just that great added practice of things they should already know. It's a great reminder of concepts that might leave their minds if they didn't have to keep practicing!

    Sometimes, I'd love a break from the grading but I love having them as a great review and mini-lesson topics! I love the idea that you let them use them on tests ;) BRILLIANT!

    Thanks for sharing how you use them in your classroom!
    Amanda
    My Shoe String Life.

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top