Sparking Student Motivation: SILENT BALL!

Hello friends! 
Long time no blog :)
It was one of those hectic weeks.
Enough said.

Today I'm linking up with my bud, Joanne, from
"Head Over Heels for Teaching" to share an idea that MOTIVATED my kiddos this week :)
This is actually an idea that our P.E. teacher came up with last year during standardized testing. She wanted to give the students a brain break, but the school was technically in a "quiet zone," so she had to get creative. Thus SILENT BALL was born! :)
Here's how it works:
The students sit on their desks. 
{Yes, ON - because is there anything more exciting for a 10-year-old? I think not.}
One student gets the ball and has to say the name of one specific student and throw him/her the ball. If the students throws it incorrectly (with no way the catcher can catch it), the thrower is out (and sits in his chair). If it is a good throw, but the catcher doesn't catch it (and hold on to it), then the catcher is out.
And, one more important rule:
Everyone is SILENT!
If you speak, you're automatically out.
And the students are very strict :)
Sorry for the blurriness - these were obviously action shots :)

Now, I first played this game this week with my small group of kiddos who do not go to band (we have 45 minutes at the end of each day). But the next day the rest of my class (naturally) clamored to play.

So, I decided to put a little educational spin on the game...
We needed to review for our reading vocabulary test, so we got in our Silent Ball positions and the review game began! I would read a definition and a student would throw the ball to someone. If the student caught the ball, they would say the word I had just defined. If they didn't catch it or couldn't tell me the word, they were out. The rest of the kiddos sat silently, waiting for their turn. We played this until all of our words had been defined. It was eye opening for the students (and for their teacher!) who had studied for the test and who hadn't!

The possibilities are endless: you could do this with math facts, spelling words, or any history or science topic that you have defined questions for. The teacher could ask the questions or you could let the students ask them, depending on the subject and the group of students you have.

Well that's a little glimpse into my world this week,
trying to make learning (and retaining information) fun for my 5th graders :)

Hop on over to Joanne's blog to see more motivating ideas!
Head Over Heels for Teaching


10 comments

  1. So much fun! I love this idea! I bet the kids are strict and call each other out if one talks!!! I can totally see myself using this as a brain break and for educational review skills! Thanks for the great (and super easy to incorporate into my classroom idea!!)

    Amanda
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a GREAT idea. I should try this with my kiddos! They love to throw balls!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, and you are right...on the desk is a must (especially if you're a cool teacher!) I can see this working well with Sparkle or comprehension questions too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea!! My kids would be so excited at the chance to sit on their desks!!
    Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, love, love this idea! One of my classes is super competitive and they always want to play games to review material. This one they will love. I am so sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was my 7th grade intervention class' FAVORITE game last year. We played almost every single Friday if they earned free time...for months straight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this, so many uses for this game :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love silent speed ball! But I love the added twist of sitting on the desk! Review, quiet, engaging, a win for everyone! :) Thanks for linking up and sharing Jessica!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you guys have slinkys in America? I played silent ball with my kids but used a slinky a few years ago. SOOOO much fun and so hilariously funny!!
    Doesn't really teach them anything, but hey use the recap game!!

    Erin
    <a href="http://www.learningtobeawesome.blogspot.com>Learning to be awesome</a>

    ReplyDelete
  10. Silent Bal. I need to play this. If I could only get the kids to play this in the lunchroom, then everything would be perfect.

    thanks
    matt

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top