Personal Narratives Writing Project

Do your kids like to write?
My students have half and half - some love it...
Grammar Memes - Mr. MacFarlane's Classroom Blog
some would rather have a root canal :)
So, when you can't think of anything to write, look up cat memes made by other people who also have no idea what to write.
I went to a writing workshop today at my teaching conference and it gave some excellent tips when it comes to teaching writing:
1. Break it into small bites - instead of focusing your students on the final product, break the process down into small steps they can handle. This will help to keep them from getting overwhelmed.
2. Make it concrete - give them real-life situations to write (writing letters that will be read, sharing their published work with others, etc.)
3. Use technology to engage them
4. Enjoy the journey
Writing is a PROCESS and in this culture of instant gratification it can be hard to train your students to WORK for SOMETHING! But it's an important life lesson and one that is worth your time to teach.
We all teach our students the writing process - and I have taken this last tip and put a little spin on the writing process to show my students that a process is a journey...
Packet includes 5 posters in both Color and B&W
Click HERE to check out the product in my TPT store :)

Now, onto the real meat of this post:
We recently finished up a writing project that
my students really enjoyed.
What do students like talking and writing about
more than anything else?
THEMSELVES!
So when they were asked to write a personal narrative about an important moment in their lives, we got right to work.
Each student brainstormed a list of important events in his life.
Then he chose one event and wrote as many details as he could about that day.
Once the rough drafts were written, we switched with partners to revise and proof-read. 
 
Finally, we published our pieces, putting them together in big books and sharing them with the class.
Here are some examples from my students:
I had them design a front and back cover and then glue their story and the "About the Author" section on the inside :)
This project really SPARKED some MOTIVATION in my students, so I'm linking the idea up with my buddy, Joanne, over at Head Over Heels for Teaching.
I've created a FUN, ENGAGING, and HASSLE-FREE packet for you to use to walk your students step-by-step through the process of writing a personal narrative. 
Here's a preview of what's included...
Plus the packet includes my Writing Journey posters! :)
Click HERE to check it out! :)

I'd love to GIVE AWAY a free packet - so let's play 
*PIN IT TO WIN  IT!*
Here's what you do: pin one of the pictures from this blog post on Pinterest. Then click the "See it now" button and copy the URL of your pin. Paste the URL in a comment on this post - and don't forget to leave your e-mail address! I'll pick a winner tomorrow night at 8pm PST! 

13 comments

  1. WOW! This pack looks amazing. I REALLY REALLY LOVE the writing journey posters.

    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/554505772842648752/

    adecker@lasalle.pvt.k12.ia.us

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope I get a chance to win it this time...just missed it on FB! http://www.pinterest.com/pin/148759593916454449/
    teachingisagift@outlook.com
    Sidney

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The packet looks great and I love your idea of having people pin the pictures to pinterest!

      http://www.pinterest.com/pin/67624431879250023/

      Jennifer
      Jenniferweigand@gmail.com

      Delete
  4. This looks like a great unit; I just pinned it to my "Writing Ideas" board!

    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/274578908505536392/

    Margie
    brosma@xplornet.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I agree with how important it is to break the writing into small task. I notice that when my students are becoming overwhelmed, it's because I didn't break the parts down small enough. Great reminder!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome!!! Small bites are a great piece of advice when it comes to any concept that requires perseverance to complete. Thanks so much!!

    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/327214729148826874/

    reginamuna@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks awesome! I would love to win it! Thanks for the giveaway :)
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/282037995388738228/

    amynick25@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks absolutely phenomenal! Would love to win it. As always, thanks for the opportunity.
    ugamler@boyertownasd.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOPS! Forgot the darn pin.
      http://www.pinterest.com/pin/279786195575016264/

      Delete
  9. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/74168725087811877/
    WOW!! writing is such a difficult thing for me to teach...this looks amazing. I would love to have this to help me get my third graders ready for 4th grade and all of the writing that they will be doing there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/181410691214547233/
    4chocolattes@gmail.com
    Awesome packet!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/204139795583727658/
    I love using anything I can to get my kids writing.\

    celiajoslin@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top