Must Read Mentor Text: Washington and Lincoln

I am linking up with my cute blogging buddies {Collaboration Cuties} for their Must Read Mentor Text Linky party!
Today I want to share some pictures from activities we did this week to celebrate President's Day (we were in Winter Break last week, so our celebration was delayed).

To start out our unit, we watched this fun video:
(the kids then sang it all.week.)


We discussed the different roles of the President and then I focused in on two noteworthy presidents: George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. I read these books to my students:
After reading these kid-friendly biographies, we sorted facts about both
George Washington and Abraham Lincoln:

This provided excellent skill-developing activities as the students needed to compare and contrast details about these presidents. We got some excellent test skills thrown in there because some of the facts were not in the book (i.e. how Washington died) - but we knew how Lincoln died, so we were able to deduce and use the process of elimination to figure out that he died of pneumonia.

Then we threw in some writing, just for fun :)
The kiddos wrote as if they were President and answered questions about their stance of different policies, their Vice President, and their life in the White House.
I love what this sweet girl said - that her Dad would be her
Vice President because he is a Christian and very wise :)

Then the students drew pictures of themselves
in the Oval Office:

3 comments

  1. That video is super cute!! I can see how it might get stuck in their heads!! I love the sorting activity! It looks like you guys had fun! Thanks for linking up!!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these books! Thanks so much for sharing your great ideas to go with them. Love your student's comment about her dad! :0)

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N' Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing these great ideas! I really like the sort!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top