Must Read Mentor Text: MATH CURSE

Happy Saturday!
This year is my first year teaching math and while I was initially afraid to jump into the math world 
(I am so a reading and writing kind of gal)
hahahahahaha. this is my favorite.
How I see math word problems: If you have 4 pencils and I have 7 apples, how many pancakes will fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don't wear hats.
but I have been pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoy teaching it!
Today I'm linking up with my dear buds over at Collaboration Cuties for their Must Read Mentor Text linky:
One of my favorite books to get kids giggling and happy about math is...
Math curse
This is a hilarious book that teaches that math is everywhere!
I usually read it at the beginning of each school year -but this year I didn't read it until this past week. I was getting more than a little tired of my adorable, angelic students asking (usually in a whiny voice), "when am I ever going to need to know this?!?"

The main character wakes up one day and finds that EVERYTHING is a math problem - the clothes in her closet, the milk she puts on her cereal for breakfast, the time it takes to brush her teeth, the cars on the highway, cupcakes brought into the classroom, characters in her dreams at night, etc.

Here's a sample page:
The Math Curse , a great book about a boy who is a math genius and hates it. Read it, laugh and learn about Math.
My students LOVE to hear this story again and again - and it changes their perspective on math in the real world. It's a must-have on any classroom book shelf!
PLUS! I just found that there's a video version available on Youtube:
I love to show books on video in the classroom - it engages the kiddos, allows all of them to clearly see the pictures, and triggers different connections in their brain than if they just listened to me read it. 

To enhance our reading of the book, I have created a FUN and ENGAGING packet to go with it. 
The packet includes some activities to do with the book (identifying story elements as well as templates and directions for your students to write their own real-world math word problems and/or "Math Curse" story) as well as 32 task cards that are based on problems mentioned in the book. It is an excellent test prep activity in that it reviews basic math facts and information, but in a fun and interactive way!
You can snag this packet for only $4 - click HERE to check it out :)

My kiddos LOVED the book and the activities I created.
I had them complete the work in stations - one group was working in pairs to solve the task card problems, another was working on basic math fact review, and a third group worked on creating and sharing their own real-world math problems. They loved trying to stump their classmates!
Then, as I was perusing around Pinterest, I found this INCREDIBLE door decor that is Math Curse-inspired:
Door Contest-Math Curse
How cute is that?!?
I'm thinking I need to come up with something like this...
I'll add it to my ever-growing to-do list :)

1 comment :

  1. I really love this idea. I don't teach math (for good reason - I am horrible at it!) but I shared your post with a friend. She's going to love it!
    Amanda at His and Her Hobbies

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.