Grace Transformation, Not Behavior Modification

Happy Friday, blogging friends!
Agree means to have the same opinion, view or feelings about something.
Anybody else with me? :)

It's that time again - time to share something that has FUELED your FAITH this week!
My tidbit comes from an awesome workshop that I went to today (as part of our school's P.D.) on grace and classroom management. The session, taught by Esther Wilkison of BJU Press, was so challenging, convicting, and encouraging. So much of what she said resonated with me - it affirmed certain things I was doing in the classroom and definitely rocked the shaky foundation of my classroom management. 

Here's a great quote to chew on:
(I've paraphrased her)
As she said this, I felt a thumping in my heart and a lump in my throat - how often do I pray that my students would behave...so that my day will go smoothly.  ??? That is a selfish prayer - one that has nothing to do with lasting heart change and everything to do with my comfort and my pride. When a student misbehaves, I should not be surprised. We are all fallen. We all need to be reminded of who we are called to love and serve. And I need to be the ultimate role model to my 10- and 11-year-olds. I need to be the example of someone who struggles myself with loving God and serving others - but one who looks to her loving Creator for help. 

On Judgment Day, I will not be held accountable for Billy's bad behavior - I will be held accountable for how I handled myself as a result of that behavior. Did I grow frustrated with him? Did I punish him? Did I plead with him to behave? None of those things will work - they may silence him for the moment, they may scare him into submission, but they will create no lasting change.

I will be held accountable for whether or not I used that moment to point him to Jesus. 

Time to reflect (and this may hurt a little)...
Are you seeking to grow these hearts and minds that you've been entrusted with this year? Or are you just looking for a class of silent robots who are sitting at their desks, busily filling in worksheets?

We only get one year with these kiddos - and we will be held accountable for what we poured into them, the life lessons that we taught them, the ways that we did (or did not) encourage godliness.

I don't know about you, but this is going to change my classroom management, my outlook on my students, and my perspective of myself as the Teacher. Thank goodness we have a compassionate God who gives us a huge responsibility - and the One we can lean on for support, guidance, and strength.

Now it's YOUR turn!


1 comment :

  1. I think that this series you do on Fridays is very special.

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.