Sports Figurative Language

As you know, I have a class full of Seahawks FANatics! 
Seriously.
Today was the Seahawk parade to welcome home the players and 15 of my students were absent! 15!
To channel their energy and passion, we have been doing lots of football-themed activities which you can read about HERE.

I noticed last week that my kiddos were having trouble differentiating between similes and metaphors, so I decided to give them some additional practice, using things they love...FOOTBALL!
We started off going over definitions from my Similes and Metaphors Task Cards Packet:
Then we put our knowledge to the test by writing
football-themed examples.
*Note: these are written by Seahawks fans,
so the sentences are *slightly* biased :)
You can snag a copy of this worksheet by clicking HERE
or on the picture below:

Then we had some more sports fun with figurative language - this time with IDIOMS! (one of my favorite things to teach!)
I have created a Sports-themed idiom packet that really engaged my FANatical students :)
Here is what is included in the packet:

Here's an example of the cards:
 
We played this as a partner match-up game
and the kids LOVED it! :)


Then I gave the students an extra credit opportunity to research some additional sports idioms on their own:
If you would like to grab a FREE copy of this packet, please leave your e-mail address and your favorite idiom in a comment below :) I will randomly choose a winner tomorrow evening!


I'm linking these fun and easy-to-use ideas with Jivey for her weekly "Wednesday Workshop"

8 comments

  1. Today my favorite idiom today is...
    I am as cold as ice, brr!.

    Love, Love, Love your football activities... my boys would've gone wild for them! And they would LOVE this packet. We've just begun to touch on idioms.

    Have a great end to your week,
    Angela
    teachersdesk@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great!!! I can't believe 15 of your students were gone......that's crazy!! I hope it was one heck of a parade.....

    Katie
    Mind Sparks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Idioms are so much fun...and such a challenge for my second language learners! I think one of my favorites is between a rock and a hard place....the kids did a fantastic job to connecting the idea to the social studies we were learning. Yea! I'm at kimberly.valera@fortbendisd.com Have an awesome day!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, this is way too cute!!! My kids aren't so into football, but I love the lesson idea anyway! :) Thanks for linking up!
    Jivey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Idiom - Piece of cake
    khenry22@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some boys that would love these activities. They are huge football fans. Thanks so much for sharing such great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all idioms, but I bet your Seahawk fans went crazy over these! I can't believe you had 15 absent! Wow!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  8. My boys would love these activities!! My favorite idiom is,"Bite off more than you can chew." Thanks for the opportunity to win this awesome packet.

    tinysmiles34@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top