WHO Do You Want To Be in 2014?

Happy Saturday, friends!
Phew, what a week! This little teacher was oh-so-ready for the weekend, that's for sure.
I was ready for the kids to be a little bit zany as we returned from winter break, but I wasn't prepared for the challenge that this week proved to be. The kiddos certainly needed some time to re-adjust to being back in school - and I'm praying that next week runs smoother!

Here are some of the highlights from our first week back:
1. WHO Do You Want to Be in 2014?
So many times my students are asked, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" And more than any other class, these students just don't know. I find that the question really stresses them out. So, I decided to take a different approach.
My favorite activity of the week focused in on WHO the students want to be, not only what.
I showed them my example:
And then I gave them time to brainstorm adjectives that they would want to describe them:
They did a phenomenal job - and it was so motivating as they considered how they want to be known by others and how they can serve God with their attitudes.
I am linking up this idea with my buddy, Joanne, for her Spark Student Motivation Saturdays linky. It was simple to prepare for, easy for the kids to complete, and oh-so-meaningful! 
2. Ringing in the New Year
We discussed the tradition of setting resolutions. Each student wrote three goals on a bell:
Here's a look at our complete 2014 Bulletin Board:
  3. Good-bye December, Hello January
To welcome January, we did a fun poetry activity. The students compared and contrasted December with January and then wrote statements about each:
4. 2014
I gave them Rachel Lamb's New Year Foldable to complete, and they really enjoyed doing it! It gave them guidance as to what specifically they can work on this year.
5. It's Snow Secret, We've Got a Great School! 
A third grade teacher in my school was "pinspired" :) to create a bulletin board entitled, "It's Snow Secret, We've Got a Great School!" She had each class write different reasons why our school rocks! The reasons went on snowflakes and are hung down the hallways! Here are what some of my kiddos wrote:

Well, that pretty much sums up my week!
Happy weekend, friends!
I am praying diligently that my sweet and obedient students return next week - they seem to have gotten lost over winter break and I'm ready to have them back! :)

3 comments :

  1. Love the idea of "Who" they want to be rather than "what" - may have to steal that idea pronto!! Also love the snowflakes - I saw a similar one with hearts for the 100th day of school but the snowflake one is great for the whole school to do now!! Plus, those snowfakes are amazing! Off to pin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always have great ideas Jessica! You'd never know you were tired from this week! Your bulletin boards look great and I love that you had them write "who" rather than "what"-makes them really think about who they want to be and how they want others to perceive them. Thanks for sharing and linking up friend!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your who you want to be activity is so unique and creative! I am definitely pinning that one and keeping it on stand by for next year...maybe even the beginning of the year for what kind of student you want to be?! Thanks for all the great ideas!
    I had the opposite happen with my students' behavior - they were calm and attentive. I'm hoping they stay that way! haha
    Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.