Tried-It Tuesday: Holiday Re-Cap

Cause for celebration...
I survived the first day back! :)
My students were surprising well-behaved.
Mostly due to the fact that they were sleeeepy :)
Today I'm linking up with my bud,
Holly, from Fourh Grade Flipper,
 for her "Tried-It Tuesday" linky:

This is an activity that I use when students return from Christmas break. They are always *bursting* with stories to tell of their Christmas adventures and the coolest toy they received. And I want to hear their stories, to appreciate the "treasures" they got for Christmas, and to show that I'm interested in what is important to them. But I needed a way to manage their stories in a non-chaotic way :)

The students fill in details from their break in this graphic organizer:
After the students have filled in their graphic organizers, then they turn the sentences into a story about their Christmas break. They are really motivated because it's a fun topic and they all have lots to write about since it's an immediate memory. I have them do a rough draft, peer edit one another's stories, and write a final draft. Then they share their stories with the class - it helps to keep their thoughts organized and their stories (somewhat) succinct :)
Here are some examples of the final pages: 
This packet is available for purchase in my TPT store, but I would love to give it away to my loyal blog readers. So if you would like a FREE copy of the Holiday Re-Cap, then please leave a comment with your e-mail address and one of your favorite read-alouds that you use in January or February. It's that simple! Thanks for being a wonderful support, my friends!

6 comments :

  1. I love your holiday re-cap activity. I love to read Teammates along with my Martin Luther King Jr. books and activities.
    ugamler@boyertownasd.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl.. my kids were so quiet yesterday I was bored! It made my day creeeeeeep by! Seriously!

    Mandy
    The 4th Grade Journey

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great activity, Jessica! It is so true that you want to give them time to share about their break but tame that chaos and make it educational. :) Since you asked, one of my favorite read alouds this time of year is "Snowflake Bentley". Thanks for linking up!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fantastic activity. I'd love a copy of it. sleepnght@yahoo.com My normal read aloud this time of year is The Sign of the Beaver-my kiddos and I study this book while we study the northeast in social studies.
    We had an early dismissal today because a pipe burst in our building and we were without heat...made for a crazy day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great! I am getting ready to use Martin's Big Words for MLK Day coming up soon!
    Thanks,
    Deb
    maxeysjl@defnet.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found a book called Snowman Magic and I love this book and we are going to be working on the theme of Winter this month (since here in Florida we really don't see much of a winter).

    Thanks
    Sherry
    johnscerbo@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.