"Today is Wonderful Because..." Board

I love teaching fifth grade.
While some find 10 and 11-year-old "preteens" difficult, I count myself lucky to be able to invest my life in them.

Now, fifth graders are not always huggy and fuzzy.
Not always thrilled about waking up and coming to school.
Not always naturally optimistic and happy-go-lucky.
...So, I decided to put into practice a small exercise to get them to focus on the positive parts of each day :)

And hence, a 
"Today is Wonderful Because..." 
board was created!
I found this idea from "The Happy Teacher" and instantly knew it was something I wanted to implement in my classroom. 
I printed out the template page, laminated it (so I can write on it in dry erase marker and erase it easily each day), and hung it so you see it as soon as you walk through the door.

Here are some of the wonderful reasons
we've found to celebrate:

My students are pretty conscientious about turning in their homework, but rarely do I have a day where everyone turns in every homework item. When it does happen, it's a cause for celebration!
 
My students earn "Frequent Flyer Miles"
as a whole-class incentive.
When they earn 10 airplanes, we have a party!

Read more about that here.

 One of my sweet girls had to have sinus surgery and was out for a week. We showered her with love when she returned - I think she was honored to make our "Wonderful Board" :)

And today, the boys in my class demanded that this be our reason... 
My students could not be more ecstatic! 

Russel Wilson is the MAN! :)

Look at this display at my local grocery store:


Thanks for tuning in, friends!
Have an idea or activity you've TRIED lately? 
Hop on over to Holly's site and link up!
http://fourthgradeflipper.blogspot.com/2014/01/tried-it-tuesday-new-years-resolutions.html?showComment=1390325100226#c5403743012721358116

7 comments

  1. How sweet is that board? I especially love the one about Ellie! I like that you make your 5th graders warm and fuzzy! :)
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always have the nicest, sweetest ideas! Today is wonderful because you shared this idea! I LOVE it... another one to borrow from you:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are a special person to love 5th graders the way you do. When I taught 4th graders, that turned into 5th graders the next year, I smiled and waved as they passed me walking along the hallways, GLAD I didn't have to teach them anymore. There's a big difference between 4th and 5th and well, I'm not that brave yet! Love those boards. Cute!

    Mandy
    The 4th Grade Journey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had a 5th grade teacher like you. I absolutely love your sign and how the students are involved in picking something everyday! :)
    Theresa
    Pinkadots Elementary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to use this at home with my children!!!

    LOVE IT!!!

    And yea Seahawks!
    I am torn though, I really want Peyton manning to win another SuperBowl, but the Seahawks are AWESOME!!!

    thanks for sharing

    Elizabeth
    Hodges Herald

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea, Jessica! We just had professional development about being more positive. This would be a great way to do it. I feel just like you do about fifth graders! I think they are the perfect age. Still young enough to draw me pictures and give me hugs and old enough to sit and work quietly when I need a moment of peace! I plan to be that crazy lady who taught fifth grade for 35 years!

    Stephanie
    Forever in Fifth Grade

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an inspirational post, Jessica! This just made me smile! :) There is so much to be said about the life lessons in this one little act each day. Love it!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper
    P.S.
    That display at your grocery store IS pretty impressive!!

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top