Must Read Mentor Text: Uncle Jed's Barbershop

One of my favorite books to read with my students is a
heart-warming story about family, sacrifice,
and following one's dreams...
Uncle Jed's Barbershop is a Coretta Scott King Award winner - and an excellent book to read to your students during February, Black History month.

The book tells the story of Sarah Jean, a young girl growing up in the South during the 1920s and 30s. Her family are sharecroppers and are heavily persecuted by segregation. Her great Uncle Jed is the only black barber in the county and he has a big dream: to open his own barbershop. Several hurdles stand in the way of him achieving his dream (illness, prejudice, bank failures, the Great Depression, etc.) but he never gives up. 

I am linking this book up with my dear friends at
Collaboration Cuties for their Must-Read Mentor Text linky:

There is even a Reading Rainbow episode featuring the book:

To accompany our study of the book and to extend our understanding, I have created a FUN and ENGAGING packet that is the perfect supplement to a reading of the story:
Here's what's included:
Here's a preview peek at the packet:

Click HERE to snag the packet for only $3!

Do you have any great mentor text suggestions?
Leave a comment or stop by Collaboration Cuties
to link up your idea! :)


6 comments

  1. I LOVE this book! Your pack looks wonderful!
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh oh! I think I might have to make another trip to Amazon. This book sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've read this book, but the cover looks so familiar...I bet I have it at school! I'm so excited to look for it because you've totally sold me on it! :) Your new product looks great!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, this looks like a great book! I will definitely have to check it out! I'm glad you posted this in advance so I can get it for February! Your pack looks awesome, as usual!

    Thanks for linking up, friend!!!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree.. this would be a great book for February! I love when youtube offers someone else reading the text. It becomes that much more engaged. Good luck this week!

    Mandy
    The 4th Grade Journey

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this one. Will definitely check out the unit for next month. Thanks.
    Mrs. Brown Loves Bookworms

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top