Spark Student Motivation: Light of the World

Howdy, friends!
I'm so excited about today: I love Saturdays in December!
Today I will not be getting out of my pajamas. I plan to spend my time wrapping gifts, watching Christmas movies, and baking for the four Christmas parties we have this week! :)

That sure motivates this little teacher :)

and now I'm linking up an idea with my bud, Joanne, from "Head Over Heels for Teaching" - here's something that has motivated my students this week.

Because I teach at a Christian school, we don't emphasize Santa. I mean, we talk about him, he's in a wordsearch or a Christmas Test I'm giving my students (more on that later...), but we don't make too big of a deal about him. Plus I teach fifth graders, who are "in on the secret."

So in my classroom I do a balance of secular Christmas activities and ones that focus on the true reason for Christmas: the Savior of the world coming to Earth as a baby, to dwell with mankind and provide a way for reconciliation. 
Love this
The Magic Of Christmas... so true... which is why we are doing NO gifts this year... they've forgotten the true meaning so we're gonna remind em. :-)
To enhance our discussion, I asked my students about Christmas lights and why we use them.
tumblr_muow0sFPhZ1sfclluo1_500.jpg 500×750 pixels  This is cool... but I'm not sure where I could put it inside? Curtains kind of cover the edges of my windows... --JP
They are bright.
They are beautiful.
They dispel darkness.
Beautiful Christmas Lights
Just like Jesus.
Just like Christians are called to do.
Light of the World ideas
 So I gave the students a "light bulb" and had them brainstorm ideas of how they could be a "light" to the world:
 
Here's a bulletin board of all of our "lights"

4 comments :

  1. Just beautiful! I love reading the responses from your students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so lucky to teach at a Christian school where you can talk freely about Jesus. I love your light bulb idea, I might borrow it for my Sunday School class this week. Thanks for sharing!

    Melissa
    Wild About Fifth Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inspirational idea! I love it! I don't teach at a Christian school, but I definitely could incorporate this idea-such a powerful visual and message Jessica (just like all your ideas!). Four Christmas parties this week??!! And you bake? You're amazing!
    Thanks for sharing and linking up friend!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.