Workshop Wednesday: Charlotte's Web

Happy Wednesday, friends!
Today I am joining my bud, Jivey, for her
Workshop Wednesday linky party:
This week's theme is chapter books in the classroom.
I want to share one of my favorites:
I still remember the first time I read this book.
I still have the copy my aunt gave me when I was 8 years old.
It is one of my treasured possessions.

If you haven't read the book, here's the Amazon description:

Charlotte's Web is the story of a little girl named Fern who loved a little pig named Wilbur—and of Wilbur's dear friend Charlotte A. Cavatica, a beautiful large grey spider who lived with Wilbur in the barn.
With the help of Templeton, the rat who never did anything for anybody unless there was something in it for him, and by a wonderfully clever plan of her own, Charlotte saved the life of Wilbur, who by this time had grown up to quite a pig. 
It is a story of the magic of childhood on the farm. The thousands of children who loved Stuart Little, the heroic little city mouse, will be entranced with Charlotte the spider, Wilbur the pig, and Fern, the little girl who understood their language.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The story is filled with memorable characters, vivid language, and interesting plot points.

I love it so much (and my kiddos do too!) that I made a fun and engaging packet to use with the novel study:

Here are some highlights from the packet:
Chapter Summary
For each of my students, I make a copy for each chapter in the book. As they read, they fill in the boxes, so that they track their reading. It's a great keepsake when they have finished the book.
Character Profile
As we go through the book, I also have the students complete a Character Profile about each of the main characters: 
Vivid Vocabulary 
There is excellent vocabulary in the book.
I have included 20 word wall cards with
important vocabulary words:
 
Plus there are some vocabulary extension activities:
Setting
I also use the book as an opportunity to discuss the various settings in the book. For each one, we use our five senses to describe the setting:
 Create-Your-Own-Web
One of my favorite activities was when my students got to create their own slogans out of spider web. They get their creative juices flowing and work their magic to save that pig!
 Here's a preview of the entire 65-page packet!

You can snag this easy-to-use, fun, engaging, and valuable packet for only $7!

Have a favorite book that you share with your students? 
If so, link up your ideas with Jivey!

1 comment

  1. Aw this was my favorite favorite FAVORITE book when I was young. It was actually my first chapter book I read and... I have to brag... I was in 1st grade! :o) I still have my original book... yellowed pages and all. LOVE! Thanks for linking up!
    Jivey

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top