Must Read Mentor Text: All the Water in the World

Hello friends!
Happy Sunday morning!
I have had such a quiet, peaceful morning that started out with a nice devotional and a quiet time of prayer, thanking God for my zany, eager, lovable 5th graders. At this time of year, it is easy to let the chaos consume you or the students' rambunctiousness wear your patience thin. 
Lord, please calm my heart and soul today ~ so many things are out of my control  and I need your love to soothe me and calm me ~ YOUR love lets me know it will be OK ♥
Instead, take a step back.
Remind yourself that you work with kids.
Not mature adults, not brains that simply take in information...kids.
Look for things you love in each day.
believe there is good in the world | ... Day May Not Be Good… But There Is Something Good In Every Day

Today I am so excited to be linking up with my buds, Amanda and Stacia, from Collaboration Cuties for their Must Read Mentor Text Linky
This week's subject is SCIENCE and I've found a great book to discuss the Water Cycle:
All the Water in the World
I found this book in a discount bin at a used book store 
(my favorite kind of treasure hunts!)
and fell in love immediately.
Not only does it introduce the concept of the water cycle...
screenshot 2
but it also uses incredibly vivid language!
Some of the vivid verbs used in the book include:
cascaded
meandered
wavered
avalanche
I loved the verbs so much that I decided to make a reading center out of them by creating
vivid verb word wall cards:
Click HERE to grab your FREE packet

Here are some other Water Cycle activities:
Here's a cute anchor chart to explain the basic steps in the water cycle:
Checkout this great post on Bulletin Board Ideas! Spring board idea...put facts about the water cycle on raindrops by students or student partners
Here's a fun Water Cycle song that will help your students remember the different components:
a23a1473dd58ec443882009c20c06008.jpg 2,171×2,892 pixels
Water Cycle Explained by Bill Nye:
This video is almost 20 minutes long, but it's an excellent, comprehensive video that
explains the concept with important vocabulary
I also found this awesome hands-on water cycle disc that shows how water moves in a circle:
Water cycle by Enid Zaig
FREE printable created by Rachel Saffold

While my students are coloring, cutting, and assembling their water cycle wheels, I play this Water Cycle Rap song - it's sure to make your students cheer - and rap about the water cycle for days on end :)
Well I'm off! If you have any fun and creative Water Cycle activities/packets you've used and would like to share, please leave a comment below. I'm always on the lookout for new ideas! :)

3 comments

  1. WOW! What a great post! Too bad we just finished our unit on cycles- I'm saving these ideas for next year! Thanks so much!
    I've never seen this book, but I must get it! Even with my first graders, I'll use it for unit and reading workshop (tuning in to interesting words)
    Again, awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't teach science but I LOVE those verbs! I think the book itself shows students that nonfiction texts can still have vivid verbs... I might need to get my hands on a copy so I can read it during our nonfiction writing unit! This would be a great mentor text before we write our science feature articles :)

    Thanks for sharing! Glad I'm finally catching up on all my blogs!
    Amanda
    My Shoe String Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so I just noticed the author is George Ella Lyon! She is a fantastic author and poet for adults and kids! I was able to meet her and hear her speech in college and she doesn't write a single bad line :) Her where I'm From Poem is my favorite to read to the kids each year :)

    Just a little FYI if you see anything else by her in the future!
    Amanda
    My Shoe String Life

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top