Mastering the Comma! (tons of FREE resources!)

I've noticed that my kiddos are really struggling with 
commas this year.
We did the workbook page on commas, plus the extra practice page, but it just isn't enough. I made the assumption that my kiddos had already learned about comma usage. 
And they have. 
But it hasn't stuck. 
So, lucky for them, I'm planning an extra-special mini-unit on the
comma!

Note: this post is full of PINspiration :)
Click HERE to follow me on Pinterest!

To start off our unit, I am going to read them this funny story:
This hilarious book shows the importance of commas with
side-by-side examples of sentences with and without correct comma usage.
Click HERE to check it out on Amazon.
I'm linking this book up with my buds at Collaboration Cuties
for their Must Read Mentor Text linky!

Look at this amazing anchor chart I found on Pinterest:
Commas are Important!
I wish I could take credit for this amazing portrayal of comma comic genius :) 
But I can't. 
My kids saw this and ROLLED! 
I made a whole PowerPoint presentation with examples of why commas were important. Here are some of the best ones:
Commas.
Commas!!!
Why commas matter #grammar #punctuation

I have also found this great chart with the
13 common uses for commas:
Comma Rules: why can't English teachers put this up in their classrooms?! Haha.

After discussing the various uses for commas, I'm going to send my students on a COMMA HUNT:
 This FREE packet includes an Interactive Notebook activity where students glue down 8 different rules for commas:
curious about commas.pdf
And then they HUNT through a book to find examples of each rule:

And finally, as a re-cap of all that we've learned, we're going to watch this video about commas usage using sentences about Star Wars!

Do you have a fun and effective activity for teaching the more complex comma rules? If so, I'd LOVE to hear about it! :)

11 comments :

  1. Those comma posters crack me up! I need to print that comma rules poster for my husband though. He has no idea how to use commas, so he just doesn't use them. Drives me crazy!

    Sara :)
    The Colorful Apple

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the book Eats, Shoots, and Leaves. Have you used the other books in that series? They are great for other grammar/punctuation usage.

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy wow! Your posts are always fuuuuuuuuuuuull of awesome resources and ideas. And I super LOVE that anchor chart! Oh and those posters without commas! SO fun!! I want to post them around my room. I should do that because we are doing commas right now! How timely this post is!!

    Thanks so much for linking up!!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The links for the interactive notebook aren't working...It's got a crazy long URL for google docs that I've never seen...

      Delete
    2. Hmmm that's so weird - I just tested the links from the post and they took me right to the page?!?! Here's the pin - maybe if you follow it, you'll have more luck: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/119978777546581736/
      So sorry about the mix-up! I hope this works! :)

      Delete
  4. Wow!! What great resources. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Courtney
    http://polkadotlessonplans.blogspot.com/2013/11/people-we-should-know-series-and-peek.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't get the link either, and it looks so great, so I am so sad! The posters are so funny.
    kganon@sanjuan.edu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm that's so weird - I just tested the links from the post and they took me right to the page?!?! Here's the pin - maybe if you follow it, you'll have more luck: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/119978777546581736/
      So sorry about the mix-up! I hope this works! :)

      Delete
  6. I still have to explain to teachers at my school how to use the Oxford comma... SERIOUSLY people! (PS, I'm not sure if you call it the Oxford comma outside of the commonwealth, so it's the first one on that super awesome/helpful rules page)

    Erin
    The E-Z Class

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've really been working on these as well this year! I just liked/bookmarked this entry so I can come back since you've gotten so many great ideas gathered up in one post! I love the anchor chart and some of the great phrases. We've been working with mentor sentences this year as well which actually seem to be transferring to student work.... FINALLY! I love your idea of the power point of why commas are important -- can't wait to use that idea on our next comma grammar day!

    Thanks for the wonderful ideas :)
    Amanda
    My Shoe String Life

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your post! That was so funny and I can't wait to share with our students.

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.