Sparking Student Motivation: I Have, Who Has

I love Saturday mornings.
I always wake up early.
Not it's-time-for-school-super-early,
but early enough for the night chill to still be lingering in the air.
Early enough to need my polka dot slippers and fuzzy bathrobe.
Early enough to appreciate the silence.
And the peace of knowing I don't need to rush.

This morning has consisted of a wonderful quiet time exploring the book of Galatians.
Here's the thought from God's Word that I'm pondering today:
Galatians 1:10
and then I spent some lovely time putzing on Pinterest :)
Click HERE to see what I've been pinning!

Now I want to share something that has been
motivating my students this week:
This week I introduced the game
"I have...Who has?" to my students.
{if you're unfamiliar with the game, click HERE to read about how it works.}
Do you ever play this game in your classroom? It is motivating, engaging, and provides your students with valuable practice of important concepts.
We played it as a math review game on Friday - I chose a FREE packet of basic multiplication facts from
"All Things Teachery" on TPT  
It has 40 game cards, so I passed out one to each student and then went around giving a second card to my strongest students.
Once they understood the concept of the game, we reshuffled the cards and played again. This time I timed the class - we finished the set in 4 minutes and 16 seconds. We discussed what strategies we could use to improve our time: listen carefully, speak loudly, stay focused on your card, and stay silent (even after your card has been called)
We played the game once more and brought our time down
to 3 minutes and 9 seconds! 
The students cheered and clamored the play again. Now that they understand how the game works, we can play endless versions - teachers have created "I have...Who has" cards for almost every subject and topic. Don't believe me? Do a search on TpT and see for yourself :)

Here are a couple versions I have created:
  
This game is included in my States & Capitals MEGA Packet

Do you ever use "I Have...Who Has?" games in the classroom? If you've tried one that your students enjoyed, share the link in a comment below! :)

8 comments

  1. Oh Jessica, after my needy day yesterday, craving approval from people who really are not that important to me, I needed to be reminded of that verse:). Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Saturday morning routine is very similar! It's the only time my house is quiet! My kiddos love I have....who has too! They love it when I time them and then we mix up the cards and play again and try to beat our time. It really forces them to pay attention. They are a competitive bunch!
    Jennifer
    The Blessed Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. We played some I have Who Has this week and it was painful! I love the game and the concept, but my crew needs more practice with the skills and paying attention. I am not giving up on them and will keep at it. I time them too so they have a goal to beat and as Jennifer mentioned it does help them pay better attention. I would have loved playing as a kid and so I am always willing to join in when there is an extra card or to model how to play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love I Have Who Has! I haven't played it this year...thanks for the reminder! Thanks for sharing and linking up!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had an I Have Who Has competition among my three social studies classes. I gave each class four attempts to get their best time, each time switching up their cards. The winning class won by one second and earned Dum Dums as a prize :) They loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have SO many I have Who Has games but haven't tried out any of them yet. I'll have to break some of those out soon! :)

    Mandy
    The 4th Grade Journey

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, I loved your DESCRIPTIVE first paragraph - I just felt like I was right there with you! That you for sharing the Bible verse you pondered this morning, too - a very neat touch! Finally, I LOVE I Have...Who Has! (I, too, have created several IHWH resources.) My students like them, too. I like to do them multiple times and then time my students. They are always motivated to beat their last time!
    ~Deb
    Crafting Connections

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing the Bible verse. Sometimes it is easy to get caught up in our busy lives and forget to make time for prayers and reflection. I love using I have who has with Social Studies review and especially with our vocabulary or root study each week.

    Pam
    Rockin Resources

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top