Five for Friday: Fun with the Three Little Pigs!

fiveforfriday2_thumb3

This week I jazzed up our Reading class with a fun study of 
The Three Little Pigs
I wanted to branch out from our textbook a little and give the students some valuable and much-needed practice with reading comprehension, summarizing, identifying story elements, comparing/contrasting, and writing.

On Monday we discussed the original story and watched this cute (albeit very kiddy!) video:
Then we discussed different ways we can summarize a story. 
We used the S-W-B-S model:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Then on Tuesday and Wednesday, we read four different versions of the classic folktale:
 
 
and filled out graphic organizers with important story details:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On Thursday we looked at all five stories
(the original plus the four "twisted" versions) 
Each student chose two to compare and contrast:
 
We took a vote on our favorite version.
I threw in a little math as we recorded our votes on a tally chart and a bar graph. We then took each book's total and wrote it as a fraction (in simplest form, of course!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On Friday, the kiddos tried their hands
at writing their own versions!
We planned our stories:
And then wrote our masterpieces...
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On a non-teachery note, I had a FABULOUS week with my mom:
We spent the weekend in the beautiful Olympic National Park
And the week ended with a wonderful shopping spree at the Outlet Mall:
Gotta love the LOFT! :)

Well I'm off for a relaxing evening - tomorrow holds the promise of a reunion with a high school friend and a fancy gala for my hubby's work! I love any reason to get all gussied up! :)

3 comments :

  1. What a fun and busy week you had! Love the shopping spree and beautiful creek picture. Your study about The Three Little Pigs looks like so much fun! Either you are very short or your husband is super tall!! :) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOO I love the whole 3 little pigs unit you just did!! So many cool ideas!
    Thanks for sharing
    Erin
    The E-Z Class

    ReplyDelete
  3. My students love "The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig." I've got to purchase The Three Ninja Pigs.

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.