Five for Friday: Fall Adventures, Book Orders, and Fractions!

Well I am late to the "Five for Friday" party once again :( 
fiveforfriday2_thumb3
But I have a good reason... 
1. My Mom is here!!!!
On Thursday my mom flew across the country to spend a bonding week with me shopping, eating, watching chick flicks, and crafting! 

We've done some serious damage at Kohls already - foreshadowing of what's to come this week! :)
Today we're heading to explore the Western coast of Washington - we're going to spend most of our time in Olympic National Park...
Olympic National Park and mother nature's giants ...Sol Duc Falls, Olympic National Park; photo by JD Hascup
with stops in Forks, La Push, and Port Angeles. 
Any Twilight fans out there?!?
City of Forks (WA)
2. Scholastic Bonus Points Order Arrived!
In September, Scholastic does a special deal that if a teacher places a $300 order during the month, they earn 10,000 bonus points (*in addition to the points you earn for the books purchased)
Well, as you can read about HERE, we reached that goal...
and my Bonus Point bank shot through the roof!
I was so excited to start planning and plotting on what I should get. A teacher can spend your points on regular books from their monthly student catalogs or from the special Bonus Point Catalog
I finally decided on a mix of teaching resources, classroom supplies, and of course, books for the kiddos. I used about 5,000 points (less than half of what I got from the September order!) and look at all that I was able to "buy":
Scholastic Book Orders are very motivating...for my students and for me! :)
They keep asking if we're going to have a $300 goal every month. Now Scholastic only does that deal in September, but I was tempted to tell my students YES! :)
How do you motivate your students? 
3. Puppet Character Creations!
On Monday we did a fun project where the students created puppets and then completed a characterization project to go with it:
You can read more about the activity and grab a FREEBIE by clicking here: 
4. Fractions
We started a fun-filled unit on Fractions this week! We spent a lot of time going over the basic of fractions:
LOVE THIS...GOTTA MAKE A "Fractions Anchor Chart"
and read some cute books to accompany our study:
check out my Mentor Text post on how we use this one
5. Decorating for Fall!
This week I finished pulling out my fall decorations both at school and at home:
 Each student wrote their favorite book on a leaf.
 These Bio Poems were done the first week of school - the original idea came from Laura Candler.

4 comments :

  1. I love that you spend time with your mom. My mom is in her 80's now and there is nothing better than sitting on her porch with a cup of coffee and chatting. She has always been considered one of my best friends and I'm lucky she lives nearby. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the puppets!
    Enjoy the time with your mom. Family is so important!

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth
    Follow me on Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those Scholastic bonus points! It used to be only $200 to get the extra 10,000! I think they have another big one in January (or they used to). I've really built up my library with these points! So glad you get to spend time with your mom! Is this your fall break? We don't get one in Florida-boo! Thanks for sharing and linking up!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have got to love Scholastic points! How long is your mom in town? I know I love it when mine comes to visit too. How was Forks? I am a fan, much to my husbands dismay!

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.