Five for Fr...aturday: Exciting Earth Science!

Our first science unit has been on Earth Science - and we've had a blast "digging" into the Earth to see what it's made of. As an overview, I shared this book with my kiddos:
It gives a great overview of everything we cover in the unit: 
*The Layers of the Earth
*Types of Rocks
*The Rock Cycle
*Gemstones
*Minerals

Here are some of the activities we did during the unit:
1. Layers of the Earth video
To reinforce the different layers of the Earth, I show them this awesome song. It's one that will get stuck in your students' heads for days - hopefully until quiz day :)
2. Types of Rocks
Then, we discussed rocks and the three different types of rock: Igneous, Sedimentary, and Metamorphic. We watched this fun video from Scholastic's Study Jams:
We watched the video, sang the song, and then took the quiz
My dear friend, Rose, from Rosie's Rambles, told me about this song
3. Layers of the Earth Packet
Then I used different activities from this fun and engaging packet of graphic organizers to assess their understanding and retention:
4. Salt Crystal Experiment:
My blogging buddy, Joanne, from "Head Over Heels for Teaching" 
Head Over Heels for Teaching
shared an awesome idea of doing fun science experiments with her students each Friday - she even has lab coats for her kiddos and a "mad scientist" costume for herself! What a fun way to engage them :) I thought of her as we conducted a week-long experiment, dealing with rocks and minerals:
"Salty Crystals"
We mixed rock salt into boiling water and then poured the salt-water into two separate bowls of pebbles. 
 
We labeled each bowl and then placed one in a dark, cool place and the other in a warm, light place. We made predictions (read: hypothesis introduction) as to where the crystals would grow faster and then observed the bowls every day for a week. At the end of the week, here were our results:

The students were shocked - most of them thought the crystals would grow better in the warm, light area. It was a great introduction to the scientific process, the acceptance of failed hypotheses, and it got them excited about future experiments :)
5. Rock Candy
What better way to end our unit than by enjoying some homemade Rock Candy?!?

YUM!

Today is the last day to enter my...

6 comments

  1. What a fun unit of study! Love your experiments and rock candy! You're making lots of memories Jessica! Thanks for sharing your awesome ideas and linking up BBB!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like it was so much fun! Your students must have really loved it!

    Stephanie
    Forever in Fifth Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rock Candy...so much fun. I love your science experiment, what a great way to teach kids about the scientific process.

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun activities you have here, Jessica!! I totally wish that I taught science now but am pinning for future reference and to share with my team! Thanks:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This looks like SO much fun. We don't teach science in 5th grade (Yikes!), but I am sure my kiddos would die. So, so awesome! :)

    Catherine
    The Brown-Bag Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are all great ideas! Thank you so much for sharing. I added the video and Study Jams to my Rocks & Minerals Symbaloo board!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top