Tried-it Tuesday: Directions Test

Phew! I made it through my first week of school!
And it's been a blast! 
I love my kiddos - they are fun, bright, and...chatty!
We're working on self-control big time. 
And routines, routines, routines.
I love the energy and excitement that the beginning of the year brings - but I'm also ready to fast-forward a couple weeks til we have settled into a normal routine.
Today I want to share a really fun idea that I use each year to teach about the importance of
carefully reading directions.
One of my favorite back-to-school activities is a Directions Test.
I hand out the "test" and tell the students to read the directions very carefully and to work as quickly as they can. The key is most students don't read carefully - they just start following the directions as they go, calling out their age, jogging around the classroom saying, "I love school!," and working multiplication problems on the back, etc. However, if they read all the way through, they just need to write their name, draw a picture of a house, and smile at the teacher, showing that they followed the directions carefully. 
I usually have one or two who follow the instructions properly and I always make a big deal about them and shower them with praise - and tickets :)
Picture of Free Teacher Downloads at Teaching Blog Addict
Hand this out...and sit back to watch :)
It's hilarious - and a great discussion-launcher!
Definitely a memorable activity to set the tone for a great school year!

4 comments :

  1. Hi Jessica,
    I have something very similar to this and the kids look at me like I am nuts when we do this. But, I have always enjoyed these and so do the kids! Thanks for Sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I've done something similar to this and the past and it is always funny when they get to the end.
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have something similar to this and it is always so funny to see which kids totally follow directions. I haven't done it this year but I need to. Thanks for the reminder and for sharing yours!

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so funny and I used to do a worksheet similar to this. I will just have to download yours and give it a try again! Thanks for sharing!! :)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.