Tried-it Tuesday: Back-to-School FREE Resources

I survived.
Day 1 down.
179 days left.
:)
I had an absolutely FABULOUS day, getting to know my 24 new kiddos! I always forget how small they are at the beginning of the year! :)

I love the beginning of the school year - I love the nervous eagerness, the "get-to-know-you" games and activities, going over routines and procedures, and the read alouds!

Here are 10 things that I TRIED today :)
1. Cute and Professional Outfit
Thanks to Jameson at "Lessons with Coffee"
for the cute teacher bag!
 
 2. Welcome Sign & Directions
This was displayed on my projector when the students walked in (thank-you iPad!)
3. Community Supply Bins:
When students first come in, they are over-laded with new backpacks stuffed with binders, pencils, and markers. In their arms they are juggling tissue boxes, hand sanitizer bottles, and wet wipes. I find it's best to have clear designated areas where to put each item:
It avoides chaos and keeps the supplies organized:
4. Student Check-Off
When students entered the classroom, they unpacked their school supplies and got cracking on this "Classroom Check-off" Sheet to get acquainted with their brand new classroom
*This is completely customized to my classroom, so I'm not posting it to TpT. However, if you would like a copy to customize for yourself, send me an e-mail :)
5. Student Info:
Then, once they had looked around and checked off each item, they got busy working on this Student Information & Interest Survey:
Click HERE to grab your FREE copy!

6. Then we did a POP QUIZ!
On the first day.
Yes, that's right.
The kids were freaking out.
And it was the hardest quiz they've ever taken...
because it was all about me :)
The teacher they've never met!

But they got through it, learned a lot about me in the process, and I used it to model how we label our paper, how to grade a partner's paper, and how to score it.
It was a win-win-win-win :)

7. Then we played a game called "Hop Up!" so I could get to know the students. It was really fun - I certainly have some characters this year!

8. Next we read First Day Jitters, which I wrote about HERE.
You can check out my fun and engaging packet HERE.
The kids had never heard it before - and they rolled at the ending!

9. Then we went over procedures.
And more procedures.
And some more.
I have created this handy-dandy procedure list
to keep myself straight:
10. Rules of the Road
Then, we did a fun Classroom Rules activity with my
"Rules of the Road" packet
 We talked about what each of the rules looks like and then the students got awarded their drivers licenses! They flipped :)
They thought getting a drivers license at 10-years-old was
so cool.
Phew! I am wiped - this little teacher is off to bed by 9pm!
Day 2 tomorrow...bring it on! :)

7 comments :

  1. Sounds like a VERY successful day! You are so organized and I LOVE it! :) I am definitely saving these checklists for next year. Have a great 2nd day!

    Amelia
    wherethewildthingslearn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a wonderful first day! Glad you are enjoying your kiddos from the start!

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had such a great first day! Can't wait to hear more about it!

    Becky
    Compassionate Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you can have "prayer and praise" on your class checklist:). If only.... :). Your kids have no idea how blessed they are to be in your classroom:)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad that you are off to a great start! You are so organized and I love how you use your theme so cohesively. Hope today went great too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a wonderful first day! So happy for you.
    Sending prayers that all continues well at your new school!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a great first day!! You are my hero when it comes to organization. I love all your forms! Thank you so much for linking up, friend!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.