Must-Read Mentor Text: Who Do Leaves Change Colors?

I have a confession:
I am in love.
Totally head-over-heels in love.
With fall!
Reminds me of being on the coast with my hubby. Love that we celebrate our anniversary there every year!! The cool, crisp air on my face. The smell of the ocean. And of course all the farm stands along 46 and visiting our favorite, HammerSky Vineyards!
It is by far my favorite season.
I love the crisp air.
The apple cider.
The smell of backyard fires.
Pumpkins and gourds.
The fall decor.
And most of all:
the changing colors of the leaves.

This is my new mantra:
Fall! #firstdayoffall #happyautumn

One of my favorite books to read during the Fall season is...
It's written in a basic, kid-friendly format for lower-elementary students, but I love to read it to my fifth graders - because they don't know the answer to the question posed in the title! :)
Do you know the answer?
If not - then this is the book for you!
First of all...
The illustrations are beautiful:
Included in the book are examples
of what different leaves look like:
 It even goes into some pretty in-depth science,
with a dissection of a leaf:
It's informative, colorful, and festive
...the perfect book to read in the fall!
To merge my loves of fall and all things crafty,
h
ere are some leaf activity ideas for the home or the classroom: 
Leaf Lanters:
A Little Fall Leaf Re-use Project
Create a Leaf lantern this Fall. Just leaves + Modge Podge. I use teeny tea lights inside the jar. Line the walk way or use as table toppers.
.Just leaves + Modge Podge. Use tea lights to add a nice glow.
Stained Glass Leaf Craft:
stain glass leaf craft
Leaf Print Painting:
Leaf craft
Leaf mobile:
Google Image Result for http://organizeyourstuffnow.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Fall-Decor-2010-0141.jpg

~Happy Fall, My Friends!~

2 comments :

  1. I so love fall too!! Unfortunately in GA it is very fleeting, although it had felt a little fallish lately.

    This book looks great and you are right- kids rarely know that answer to the title! I love the crafts you incorporated!!!

    Thanks for linking up friend!!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    PS I'd love to see what fall looks like in Seattle!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love fall, it is my favorite season. I love the fall crafty activities, such fun!

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.