Five for Friday: A Week in Flight!

I saw this today and it made me smile...
Friday!!!
Yep, that was me at 3:17 this afternoon when I re-entered my classroom (kid-free), turned off the light, and sat down at my desk for a moment of silence.  I cherish that moments of peace and quiet, sitting with the lights off and my eyes closed.
It was one of those typical Friday afternoons. 
Read: chaos.
:)
The good kind of chaos because the kids are actively engaged in "loud learning" as I like to call it. Plus we had some lovely student representatives come to our class at the end of the day, decked out in full 1970s gear, to advertise an upcoming skate night. Reigning my kids back in after that presentation was nearly impossible. But alas, we survived. All the backpacks got packed, the Friday Files handed out, the chairs stacked, and the kids dispersed to their parents. 
I find that the moments of silence after a busy school day are necessary for keeping my sanity :)
But the peaceful respite was short-lived as I kicked into high gear and got busy clearing the mountain pile of papers that were currently taking over sitting on my desk :)

fiveforfriday2
I'm linking up with the lovely Doodle Bugs for a re-cap of our flight-filled week:
This week we wrapped up our History chapter of transportation with an in-depth study of the Wright Brothers, the fathers of flight. 
The Wright Brothers made the first airplane. My 6th cousins 6 times removed. Our common ancestor is SAMUEL WRIGHT born 29 Jun 1606, my 11th great grandfather in my Fathers Drouillard Lineage.
You can read about my exciting trip to the Museum of Flight in preparation for this chapter HERE.
 We read a couple great books about Orville and Wilbur Wright
We watched an awesome video about the first successful flight in Kitty Hawk, NC in 1903:
Here's another video that shows actual footage of the flight:
Also, here's a great interactive activity 
about the different parts of the "Flyer"
The Wright Brothers Flying Machine interactive exercise
We acted out a play about the brothers
from this FABULOUS book:

If you don't own this book, you need to! :)
*This was the first thing I purchased from a "Teacher Store" after finding out I had been hired for my first year of teaching, so it holds a special place in my heart :)
We did some assessment activities, like this one:
(which you can snag for FREE!)
  
~Answer Key Included~
Click HERE to grab your FREEBIE.
If you download it, please leave feedback :)
Well that concludes our unit - it was a nice trip, but now our feet are planted safely on the ground once again :)

3 comments

  1. I love the pic! That is how I felt today when we finished a hectic week. :0) Your unit looks wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing so many great resources and for linking up with us for Fabulous Finds Friday... Hope you have a relaxing weekend!

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a busy week up around here as well! I love all the flight information. The video was great along with all the great primary sources. Bringing all those great primary resources into a unit are the best! I love the old photographs!!

    Take a breath and enjoy your weekend :)
    Amanda
    My Shoe String Life
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an AWESOME week! I was planning on introducing nonfiction texts next week and I might need to steal everything you did to tie in with our SS! WOOT woot! Thanks for sharing, girl! YOu rock :)

    Amelia
    wherethewildthingslearn

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top