Tried-it Tuesday: Center Folders

Yesterday I was given an unexpected treat: I got a call to say that I could come by my new school to pick up my key and see my new classroom!!!
Here are some "BEFORE" pictures:
 
 I am DROOLING over this closet: Can't wait to fill it up!
I plan to start bringing in stuff tomorrow - I can't wait! :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now, for the real reason for this post...
"Tried It Tuesday" is back!!!
I have been brainstorming and planning for centers  this coming year and have two ideas to TRY:
Do you have one of these?
Just a basic dish rack.
You can buy them anywhere for about $5.
I saw this puppy at a thrift store for $2 and knew I could find a creative use for it...
Center Station Folder Holder!
I filled it with specific topic-themed centers for the day and
put some dry erase markers in the cutlery holder for students to grab:

My next idea came from Farley from
Oh' boy fourth grade
Four-Pocket Writing Center Folders
 I went to Staples four times last week. 
No joke. 
Why, you may ask? 
One reason...
1 cent folders :)
I am planning on having 28 students and needed two folders per student (one with brads and one without)
Now, my blue folders (without brads) didn't have holes in them, so I stuck them in my heavy-duty hole puncher (best Christmas present ever!) and voila:
 
Then I folded the blue folder inside out and attached it into the brads in the green folder:
So it creates a folder with FOUR pockets:
Then I printed out labels to make my writing center folders:
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
Now I'm a tad stressed about managing small groups/centers with 27 10-year-olds! 
Anyone have any tips/strategies for managing that many students? 

5 comments :

  1. My biggest class has been 37 in the middle school, so I know how overwhelming it can be to have a large group. The best advice I can give is to find incentives on multiple levels (individual, small group, and whole class) to motivate positive behavior on those different levels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These folders are a genius idea! I also love the dishwasher rack idea. It is hard to do small groups when you have so many students. My best advice is to switch up the people in groups pretty often so they don't get too comfortable in their groups and want to talk too much. I also take some of my homeroom time to work with the lower level groups.

    Jamie
    Sixth Grade Tales
    Follow me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't seen the dishwasher rack idea for managing centers - how perfect!
    ~Deb
    Crafting Connections

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the center organization idea. I definitely need to do something different this school year. I'm drooling over that storage closet too!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! 27? I had 23 in ELA last year and it was a challenge! Needless to say, I didn't get to writing conferences with everyone very often. I love the folders and can't believe you got them for $.01!! Thanks for linking up!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.