Tricks of the Trade Thursdays: Introduction Letter/Supply List

With the beginning of the year coming up,
I thought this week's topic was quite timely :)
Welcome Letters
Each summer I like to send a letter home to my students to introduce myself before school starts.
Here's the letter I sent home last year:
I like to give a little bit of biographical information, give a plug about what they need to bring on the first day of school, and remind them about important up-coming dates. With the letter, I also send a school calendar and a supply list.
Supply Lists
2013 School Supply List
At my old school, the teachers decided what they wanted on their class's supply list and the list went home twice: once one the last day of school and once about mid-August. Here is what my supply list looked like:
Students who are
Missing Supplies
The school year starts and the students run to the classroom, their backpacks brimming with newly bought and freshly labeled school supplies! Then, slowly but surely, throughout the year, these precious school supplies disappear! They walk away! They get stolen. They go missing. So what do you do?
You send home this handy-dandy checklist for parents to see which essential supplies are needed ASAP. I have my students highlight the supplies they are missing on the checklist and I usually give them a date when I want all of the missing supplies in by. I send an e-mail to the parents, stressing the importance of being prepared, and how it keeps the classroom running smoothly when all students have their required supplies.
 
Jitter Glitter
I found this idea on Pinterest - it's so cute, especially for those who teach little kiddos:The Night Before School Jitter Glitter... love this!  Going to hand out this poem and a packet of glitter at small groups for families to do this with their children prior to first day of school.
The teacher suggests handing out this poem and a packet of glitter for families to do this with their children prior to first day of school.
Character Supply List:
I also like to talk to my students about what they need to bring to school that aren't "things."
Things like...
Printable Back to School Supply List
It's a good reminder for students...and teachers!

Now it's YOUR turn!

1 comment

  1. Going back to less digital times, sending letters is equally important as having 1300 numbers among companies. Sending letters have always been an important communication tool. :)

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top