Tricks of the Trade Thursdays: Classroom Jobs

Happy Thursday, bloggy friends! :)
Exciting News...
Tricks of the Trade Thursdays are back!
This week's theme is...
Deciding on Jobs
When planning your classroom jobs, you need to first decide which jobs you'd like to have your students do throughout the day. I believe classroom jobs are very important - it builds responsibility in your students, helps them feel a bit of ownership in the classroom, can be a good motivator to challenging students, and helps the teacher out.

Here are the jobs that I used in my classroom:
2 Paper Sorters (to pass out and collect papers, as well as sort returned papers in the student mailboxes*)
2 Messengers 
1 Board Eraser
1 Classroom Librarian (I changed it to 2 when I got an extra student)
1 Absent Folder Manager (fills in a sheet when a classmate is absent)
1 Substitute

*Note: when I needed papers sorted in the mailbox, I would often give the task to an early finisher if my paper sorters were still working on an assignment. It was a highly coveted task and I often chose students who were demonstrating role-model behavior
Displaying Jobs
To go with my "Travel-Theme," I used this to display my classroom jobs:
 Each job had it's own "parking spot" when the students' "cars" would "park" for the week :)
The other half of the class was "On Vacation" (in the envelope)
Changing Jobs
Each week, I would change the jobs on Friday afternoon...or Monday morning when a student reminded me :) Here's the chart I used to keep track of who to move to each job:

My first year of teaching, I had 14 students in my homeroom, and I divided them into two groups. Each week 7 students had jobs and 7 were "on vacation."  I created a document with the student names and divided the students into two groups (A and B): Week 1, Group A would have jobs, Week 2, Group B, etc. I would check off when they were assigned the different jobs on the organizer, so each student completed each job before they began to repeat (with the exception of paper sorter because I had two).  
I have a weekly newsletter that went home on Mondays and the jobs for the week would be posted there.
Click here to grab the job organizer for FREE:
Classroom Jobs Organizer
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now, I'm not sure what to do about this year. I liked my system in the past, but now looking at a much higher class size (probably 25-27), I'm wondering if I need to rethink how I organize and manage classroom jobs. 
Question to those with LARGE class sizes: what do you do?!?
Pinspiration
Here are some great ideas from Pinterest:
*Click on the pictures below to be taken to the original link*
Fun concept: having your students respond to a "Help Wanted" ad and "apply" for the job they want
classroom jobs Help Wanted bulletin board
Classroom Job Application
Question: Do you have your students APPLY for a job?
Does it last all year?
Here are some SUPER CUTE owl job labels:
free---Classroom jobs - Owls
And did I mention that they are FREE?!? :)

I LOVE this... iHelp :)
Technology classroom job chart
If I wasn't so invested in my classroom theme,
I would do this in a heartbeat.

Anyone do a Classroom Economy?
Classroom Economy: Classroom job payscale
Question: I am intrigued by the idea, but afraid that it'll be too much to stay consistent with.
Let me know if I'm wrong and it works in your classroom!

I like the look of this, but it is A LOT of jobs!
Tips for Creating and Managing Classroom Jobs {job charts, student jobs, classroom management}
Question: Do you give jobs to every student every week?

*To see past Tricks of the Trade link-ups, CLICK HERE*

Check out Becky's post on her Classroom Job system HERE!

~Now It's Your Turn!!!~
How do you organize, assign, and display student jobs in the classroom? Link up below!



Signature

3 comments

  1. in 5th grade I changed my jobs once a month that gives the kids enough time to really learn to do the job well...I'd pay them with our checkbook program at that time too. They rotated around and couldn't have the same job twice but kind of got to choose which job...sometimes I'd have them pick the top 4 choices and sort by that, sometimes I'd pull Popsicle sticks and let them choose...gave them some input at least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I teach K, and last year I didn't do jobs as it was my first year and I was hired very last minute. I semi-developed jobs through the year, but this year I have a list I'm starting with--all of them are things that I had kids do last year; they just volunteered for it or I would pick random students as opposed to having a scheduled rotation. These are my jobs, for a class of 25 kids--just found out I will probably have 21 to start this year, so I'll take out 2 subs and both vacation jobs.
    *paper passer--2 kids
    *check in cards (flips them over to "gone" at the end of every day)
    *door holder
    *quiet monitor--3 kids (helps the class stay quiet during center time; I had kids last year take this role on without me having to assign it and it worked wonders!)
    *attendance--job is to remind me to do it, since that's the thing about teaching I forget most often!
    *vacation--2 kids
    *sub--3 kids
    *chairs--I have 5 tables, so there are 5 jobs assigned to stack chairs at the end of the day; 1 person specifically for each table. Last year there was a lot of arguing over "I always stack the chairs" and tables who forgot to stack--we only stack chairs in 3s so not every kid has to do it every day.
    *table trash dumper--1 person responsible for dumping all 5 table trash bowls at the end of the day
    *line leader
    *floor cleaner--2 kids (picking up bits of paper, etc at the end of the day)
    *lights
    *delivery person--takes things to the office; will pick a friend to return our books to the library every other week
    *library tidier--2 kids (responsible for making sure books are straight and all in their correct bins, as much as reasonably possible--I thought kids would hate this but they love taking charge of it!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice sharing...
    http://www.jobtardis.in/BMW-jobs

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top