Monday Made-It: Printing and Laminating and Cutting...oh my!

This week my life has been consumed with creating, printing, laminating, and cutting.  
While I am far from ready to post classroom pics,
here are some things that I've made this week :)
 Frequent Flyer Miles
For the last two years, I've had a really motivating whole-class incentive called Class Compliments:
To earn "Class Compliments," students have work together as a class to earn "stars" from me, from specials' teachers, or from other adults in the building. 
They earn them for: 
  • going ABOVE AND BEYOND in their participation, their diligence, their kindness to one another, their self-control (that's a big one!)
  • walking absolutely silently in the hallway (especially if we have a traffic jam at lunch causing the kids to have to wait for a long time)
  • showing role-model-worthy behavior to younger students
The kids LOVE earning stars...and they hate losing them. 
If the entire class is not demonstrating exemplary behavior (i.e. excessive chatting, noisiness in the hallway, horsing around in the classroom, etc.) then a star "falls" from the board.
Once they earn 10 stars, they've earned a PARTY!
NEW THIS YEAR:
This year I am keeping the same system, but jazzing it up and giving it a new name...
Students will earn an airplane instead of a star - and they will be collecting "Frequent Flyer Miles" towards a party :)
2. Travel-themed Clip Chart
The last two years I used this "Trafficking Behavior" clip chart:
However, it wasn't very effective for a couple reasons:
1. I wasn't super consistent with it.
2. Students started the day on green and only moved if they misbehaved. There was no incentive for role model students to go above and beyond, because there was no where for them to move.
3. I made it look like a realistic traffic signal (red-yellow-green), so when kids had to move their clothespin for breaking a classroom rule, they actually moved up. Weird.
So this year I'm trying something new...
 
Every student will have a clothespin and will start each day on Green, "Ready to Learn." Then, throughout the day, they will move up or down based on their behavior. 
Now, with the prospect of 27 students, I knew I would not fit enough clothespins on each level (especially green, which the students will start on each day)
So I backed each level on colored 12x12 scrapbook paper: 
I also created a tacking sheet where the students cn fill in the color that they ended the day on, so their parents can track their progress:
Everything you need for making this clip chart can be found at my TpT store.
3. Student Hook Labels
In keeping with my travel-theme, I created some numbered labels to use to label my student hooks:

You can also snag these from my TpT store - I have included numbers 1-36, plus a sheet of blank tags.
4. Month Labels
I found these cute month labels from the Dollar Tree.
I am a sucker for anything with buttons! :)
5. Calendar Quotes
This was an old calendar that I absolutely loved .
Each page has a colorful, creative quote on it.
I couldn't bear to part with it once the year was over,
so I cut it apart and laminated each page: 
 
This week, with Back-to-School on the brain, I created a fun Apple themed unit for my
Kindergarten, firsties, and second-grade friends :)
It supplements the ever-popular book Apples by Gail Gibbons
It's a perfect supplement to any back-to-school unit on fall and/or apples.
Click HERE to check it out.
This past week I made the most delicious chocolate chip cookies in the world!
Here's what you need:
Ingredients:
2 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 c. butter, softened
3/4 c. white sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar, packed
1 tsp. vailla
2 eggs
2 c. chocolate chips

Directions:
1. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla. Beat until creamy. Beat in eggs.
3. Add flour mixture; mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.
 
I let my dough chill in the fridge, to make firmer, higher, fluffier cookies: 
4. Bake at 350 F for 11-12 minutes
I always let them cool on a cooling rack.
This week I made a double-batch because my in-laws are coming for a week.
So I rolled the dough into balls and let it chill in the fridge:
Then I placed the dough balls in a ziploc bag and popped it in the freezer: 
Now I'll have quick and easy cookies to pop in the oven when my in-laws come.
Also, if my hubby and I ever want cookies, we can just pull 4 (or 6 or 8) out and pop them in the oven.
Also perfect for when I am craving a hunk of raw cookie dough :)

6 comments

  1. Well now I'm hungry!! I love your travel theme. I travelled too much this summer and I'm ready to settle down and let routine take over!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving your travel theme! I took a peak at your classroom and loved what I saw! I am theme person, so I like that you are too! The 'Frequent Flyer Miles' for a behavior reward system is so clever... I'm sure I will be seeing your idea floating around on pinterest :)

    Happy to be your newest follower!

    Elizabeth
    Seconds at the Beach

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your travel themed clip chart! It looks wonderful! I also love your frozen cookie dough idea! I may need to try that out this week.

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Follow me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must have tremendous will power - making cookie dough and then putting it in the freezer - that would not work in our house :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You have been busy!!!! Everything looks great. :) Lattes and Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Printing, laminating, and cutting all these stuff to make learning easier for your students sure are a lot of work! I applaud you for accomplishing all of this on your own. And what a creative idea you came up here! Not only are your students going to enjoy the activity itself, I'm sure these colorful and well made flyers made the whole thing extra fun! Good job!
    Bobette @ DPI Digital Print Ink

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top