Must Read Mentor Text: Round and Round the Money Goes

Hello friends!
Today is Sunday, which means it's going to be a wonderful day.
A wonderful day filled with church, a scrumptious lunch, hiking, and a movie marathon with my hubby :)
What also makes it wonderful is...
Today's theme is Social Studies
I want to share a book that I used when teaching about the economy in my classroom
Round and Round the Money Goes
by Melvin and Gilda Berger
It's a great book that explains the economy in very basic, kid-friendly terms. It discusses how money is made and circulated around the world as it is earned, saved, and spent.
After reading the book, I like to show them this awesome video:
"How It's Made - Coins"
One of my students' favorite activities is designing their own coins:
Here are some samples from my classroom:
You can find the Create-Your-Own-Coin and lots of other activities a fun packet filled with engaging activities to use in a study of the economy

I have created two different units, one designed for Primary Grades (1st-3rd) and the other for Intermediate grades (4-6), (some activities would even work up to 8th grade)
"Show Me the Money" Economy Unit - Primary
This 17-page packet is a great first introduction to the economy and ideas of producers/consumers, needs/wants, goods/services. 

Here is a preview of the packet:


I've also made a
This 19-page packet is a great introduction to the economy, specifically focusing on the concepts of producers/consumers, needs/wants, goods/services,as well as how money is minted and circulated, the Federal Reserve System and the Philadelphia Mint, and Communism vs. Capitalism. 


Here is a preview of the packet:



Question: If you had $1,000 to spend on anything you wanted, how would you spend it? Leave a comment with your answer :)

I would buy...a jet ski!
Red jet ski in the sea Stock Photo - 5338323

6 comments

  1. I would buy a shoes and purses.

    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I "want" an Ipad mini... I just haven't figured out how to get that want into the budget. Sara B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of this book but I can definitely see its value for discussing money! I like that they design their own coin!

    If I had $1000 I'd get a new fence for my backyard. Or clothes. We need the fence. I want to go shopping. Needs vs wants. :0)

    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds terrific, and I love the design your own coin activity. You are sooooo clever! Hmmm? If I had 1000 dollars? I think I'd buy an iPad for my classroom... sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. $1000 right now would go towards the new minivan we are buying. Can't believe the day has come when I will be a minivan owner! Aren't I too cool for that? (Disclaimer: Answer to the question : NO - lol)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great book and activity! I love the coins you made!!! I remember being in high school Latin and we were making our own Roman coins or something like that...the teacher gave us a metal sheet similar to aluminum foil and a wooden stick. We engraved our coins with that. I can't remember the specifics of how we did it, but it was fun!

    -Amanda @
    Teacher at the Wheel

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top