Monday Linkies: July 8th

Hello blogging friends! 
Sorry I've been MIA this week - moving is a full-time job :)
All of our worldly possessions left today -
one week from today, we move into our new home!
So I'm here now to do some blogging catch up!
Similes Mentor Text
This week's theme of "Must Read Mentor Texts" was Language Arts

Today I'm going to share an awesome book for teaching about SIMILES:

My Best Friend is as Sharp as a Pencil
Synopsis A young girl's grandmother is in town and asks her granddaughter so many questions about the people in her life (her teachers, her best friends, her class- mates) that the artistic little girl decides to answer her grandma's questions by making portraits of the people using a pile of small objects she has collected. The following pages show portraits of her teacher, her friends, and others, each with different objects that describe the person via a simile (ie: she says that Jack is "as precise as a microscope", and then in her portrait of Jack, his nose is a small microscope.)  The pairing of similes and object art is so clever and humorous, we guarantee that you will have your students' undivided attention throughout the read aloud!  Perfect for teaching similes.
My Best Friend is as Sharp as a Pencil
My students are fascinated by the book - it's very artistically creative and is a wonderful book for teaching about descriptive writing and similes.
I use it in conjunction with my simile and metaphor unit.

If you're looking for a good supplement to a unit,
I've created a Simile and Metaphor task cards packet:

CLICK HERE to check it out in my TpT store.

Door Decor:
Confession: I have a button obsession :)
I made this for our new apartment :)
buttons
There are SO many crafts that can be made with buttons.
Picture Frames
I took a $1 picture frame from Michaels and jazzed it up:
I put stickers on the plain frame, spelling "NYC"
Then I painted the frame green - I painted over the letters.
  
Then, once the paint was dry I used tweezers to pull off the stickers.
Then I added a city skyscraper cutout from my handy-dandy Cricut:
Then I used a gold Sharpie to color in the "NYC"
And added one of our engagement pictures, taken in Central Park:
 
 I also made another one for one of our wedding photos:

For the 4th of July, I had to do some patriotic cooking:
I think chocolate-covered strawberries are appropriate for any occasion :)
Red, Blue and White 4th Of July Party Food
These were dipped in one chocolate and then in blue sprinkles.

Looking for a quick, super easy dinner idea? Look no further!
super easy baked garlic brown sugar chicken.

Ingredients:
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 3 teaspoons olive oil
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 500°F and lightly grease a casserole dish.
  2. In small sauté pan, sauté garlic with the oil until tender.
  3. Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar.
  4. Place chicken breasts in a prepared baking dish and cover with the garlic and brown sugar mixture.
  5. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  6. Bake uncovered for 15-30 minutes.
Check out Christy's linky for more delicious recipes!

Well I'm off for now - I'm going to enjoy Les Mis with my family :)

Note: this week's Tricks of the Trade topic is...
How do you store and organize student supplies in the classroom?
Link up your ideas on Thursday!

4 comments :

  1. Love your letters. I just updated my READ sign for my library. May have to go though the button collection. What a great idea!http://mrsbrownthebookworm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered where you were, but I figured you were probably busy with moving details. I missed your posts! I LOVE your simile and metaphor task cards, so cute. I'm going to wishlist them when I finish here. Buttons? I was at an openhouse on Saturday and saw the cutest thing--- serving utensils decorated with ornate beads and buttons. The buttons were glued on a thin, yet sturdy, flexible wire which was wrapped around the utensil tightly. They were quite unique. The hostess had picked them up at a craft sale during the holidays. I should've taken a pic of them with my cellphone... so cute and clever! You would've loved them.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun at Les Mis with your family, you deserve a break girlie! Between packing and gearing up for the big move, I have no idea how you've been able to craft and cook! Kudos to you, I'm not sure I could accomplish all of that, and it all looks great to boot! :)

    Thank you for linking up! Prayers for safe journeys in the near future!

    Christy
    Teaching Tales Along the Yellow Brick Road

    ReplyDelete
  4. All this cuteness in one post! I hope the packing went ok! Are you driving? How long is that?

    Cute book! I think I've seen it but never read it! I love anything with figurative language!

    Love the photos!!
    Enjoy your time left in New York!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.