Tricks of the Trade Thursdays: Centers Organization

Hello blogging friends!
Phew! I am back from a whirlwind adventure to...
????????????????
You'll have to check back tomorrow to hear some 
VERY BIG NEWS! :)

For now, I'm much too busy because it's another exciting episode of...
Today's topic is..

Here are some of my 
Tricks of the Trade: 
Grouping
I create my groups by ability. At the beginning of each school year, I have my students take a couple of informal assessments that lets me know where they are in terms of some basic skills. Then, I pull each student one by one for a formal reading comprehension and fluency test. This really drives my assessment and helps me form my reading groups.

This past year I had three groups:
Motorcycles (Low)
Cars (On-Level)
Helicopters (High, needing enrichment)
Scheduling
Each day we do reading groups, I fill in my schedule for the group rotations:
I have glued down library pockets and then just change out the activity (written on an index card). The first column represents the activities for the first rotation, the second column is the second rotation, and the third is the third. (obviously). My group cut-outs are attached with sticky tack, so I can move them around. (I often meet with my lowest group first, but occasionally I will switch it around) and sticky tack gives me the flexibility to do so.
Types of Activities
One of the rotations is almost always meet with the teacher and we usually work on skill-building activities (story elements, re-telling, fluency checks, TONS of reading comprehension work, etc.).  I take anecdotal notes on their progress during these sessions. When assessing their oral reading, I usually tell them what specific skill I will be checking for - expression, volume, pacing, word accuracy, etc.

The other two rotations change all of the time. Frequently the kiddos do:
  • Word Work center (focusing on spelling or vocabulary)
  • Curriculum focus: usually Social Studies or Science - I usually use it to get in more non-fiction practice!
  • Writing center (usually prompted - I have made TONS of writing center activities)
Click the pictures to see some of my
most popular writing center activities:
  
 I have also gotten a ton of these take-it-to-your seat center books from Mailbox and Scholastic. Each one is organized in a folder with a laminated game board or mat, the individual pieces in a labeled envelope (with the number of prices written on it), student sheet in a sheet protector (so they can write on it with a dry erase marker and then wipe clean when they're done), and answer key.
I keep the reading and grammar centers organized by topic in cardboard boxes from the DollarSpot. The hanging folders hold my math, science, and social studies centers.
Management:
When I'm with a reading group, I want to focus on these kiddos - and only these kiddos. I try to plan activities that require little instruction or explanation, but occasionally I will have students who come across a problem. 
To avoid (most of the) constant interruptions from students who are (supposedly) working independently, I have implemented the "Ask 3...Then Me" rule when I'm working with a small group or conferencing with an individual. It's simple: The phrase “Ask 3…Then Me” instructs my students to ask three classmates a question about the activity before coming and interrupting my small group. 

^My kids laugh because this teacher looks just like me,
right down to the purple earrings! 
(I've included several different "teacher" options in the packet.)
 
Pinspiration
Here are some lovely ideas I would like to
implement next year:
Classroom Freebies Too: How to make learning centers simple and meaningful Teachers Notebook math centers
Literacy 'Centers'Center Organizations
Center Organization chart Center organization
 How do you organize and run centers in your classroom?
Link up below!


12 comments

  1. I love your center wheel! It takes up a small space and it is easy to change. It is perfect because I have very limited board space and always struggle with a way to display them.
    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad I organized my blogs by groups (middle school, special education and other). Now I can easily see posts from my favorite blogs and you are quickly becoming one of my favorites. I just put about six items in my TPT cart from your store thanks to this great post on centers. I also downloaded the free PDF about centers. I want to use them but have to decide how since I have my students for only 45 minutes a day (most of them twice a day for reading and then again for writing). I am wondering if I should pick a certain day or two a week for centers? Or maybe on Fridays? I will read the PDF but I was wondering if you have any suggestions for a resource English teacher. I have my students grade 5 and 6 two periods a day. I also have grades 7 and 8 twice a day but they are in the class together because we don't have very many 8th graders in resource reading and writing. I only have about 6 students in each period and I have a paraprofessional (teacher's aide). Thanks so much for your great blog! Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do your accounting homework, accounting assignments with our accounting helps you to do your accounting homework, and accounting assignments email me homework solution and accounting tutoring help. Our homework assistance on prashant8778@yahoo.co.in

    ReplyDelete
  4. Email me your assignments and I will send you back the solutions.
    In addition to solving problems I do projects, papers and essays.
    I offer assistance in the following areas, undergraduate, graduate and post graduate levels:
    Accounting
    Accounting concept
    Income statement
    Balance sheet
    Cash-flow statement
    Accounts receivable, Note receivable
    Inventory
    Fixed Assets, Depreciation
    Intangible assets
    Current liability
    Bond
    Long-term liability
    Common and preferred stock
    Treasury stock
    Cash and dividends
    Financial statement analysis
    Cost accounting, Cost analysis
    Accounting and management decision
    Budgeting
    www.homeworkhelpindia.com
    prashant8778@yahoo.co.in












    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear friends, If you are looking for any homework help in accounting or its related subjects like business, finance, economics, statistics, etc., contact homeworkhelpindia@gmail.com or visit www.homeworkhelpindia.com. You will get best services at affordable prices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Email me your assignments and I will send you back the solutions.
    In addition to solving problems I do projects, papers and essays.
    I offer assistance in the following areas, undergraduate, graduate and post graduate levels:
    Accounting
    Accounting concept
    Income statement
    Balance sheet
    Cash-flow statement
    Accounts receivable, Note receivable
    Inventory
    Fixed Assets, Depreciation
    Intangible assets
    Current liability
    Bond
    Long-term liability
    Common and preferred stock
    Treasury stock
    Cash and dividends
    Financial statement analysis
    Cost accounting, Cost analysis
    Accounting and management decision
    Budgeting
    www.homeworkhelpindia.com
    prashant8778@yahoo.co.in












    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear friends, If you are looking for any homework help in accounting or its related subjects like business, finance, economics, statistics, etc., contact homeworkhelpindia@gmail.com or visit www.homeworkhelpindia.com. You will get best services at affordable prices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do your accounting homework, accounting assignments with our accounting helps you to do your accounting homework, and accounting assignments email me homework solution and accounting tutoring help. Our homework assistance on prashant8778@yahoo.co.in

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do your accounting homework, accounting assignments with our accounting helps you to do your accounting homework, and accounting assignments email me homework solution and accounting tutoring help. Our homework assistance on prashant8778@yahoo.co.in

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do your accounting homework, accounting assignments with our accounting helps you to do your accounting homework, and accounting assignments email me homework solution and accounting tutoring help. Our homework assistance on prashant8778@yahoo.co.in

    ReplyDelete
  11. Email me your assignments and I will send you back the solutions.
    In addition to solving problems I do projects, papers and essays.
    I offer assistance in the following areas, undergraduate, graduate and post graduate levels:
    Accounting
    Accounting concept
    Income statement
    Balance sheet
    Cash-flow statement
    Accounts receivable, Note receivable
    Inventory
    Fixed Assets, Depreciation
    Intangible assets
    Current liability
    Bond
    Long-term liability
    Common and preferred stock
    Treasury stock
    Cash and dividends
    Financial statement analysis
    Cost accounting, Cost analysis
    Accounting and management decision
    Budgeting
    www.homeworkhelpindia.com
    prashant8778@yahoo.co.in












    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear friends, If you are looking for any homework help in accounting or its related subjects like business, finance, economics, statistics, etc., contact homeworkhelpindia@gmail.com or visit www.homeworkhelpindia.com. You will get best services at affordable prices.

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top