Sparking Student Motivation: On the Lookout for Outstanding Students

This post will be short and sweet as I'm off
on an adventure date to Manhattan with my hubby :)


I'm linking up with Joanne with Head over Heels for Teaching
 for her "Sparking Student Motivation" linky party:
Today I'm here to share a quick idea using two treasures I found at the Dollar store:
As the students are working (individually or in groups) I walk around the room and frequently pass out these "helpers" to reward hard-working students
 1. Wise Owl
This little buddy is on the lookout for students who are
making wise choices
2. Good Work Cone
I pass out the traffic cone to students who are
working on-task.
I stick a couple of tickets underneath the
"Good Work" cone as an extra motivator.

It's simple, but very motivating. As soon as I grab these "helpers" off my desk, I hear the hushed whispers of "shhhh...she's coming with the owl!" or "here comes the good work cone!"

I pass them out several times a day - sometimes even several times in one class period to award different students or groups for their effort.

Well I'm off for a fun-filled day! 
Link up your motivating ideas with Joanne :)
Head Over Heels for Teaching

Note: This week's Tricks of the Trade linky topic will be...
How do your organize your books?
How do you collect/buy your books?
Can students check them out? Can they take them home?
How do you keep your library neat and organized?

Link up on Thursday to share your 
Tricks of the Trade!

New to Tricks of the Trade? Click here to find out details:

9 comments

  1. I loveee the Wise Owl idea! I used a ticket system this year and this would have been perfecto!

    24/7 Teacher: Amy Harrod

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have those cones, but that Wise Owl idea is super cute! Thanks for linking up Jessica!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like using a little "mascot" for a reward. We have mascot bobbleheads...maybe that is something to think about for next year. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how I love this idea, Jessica! I love when kiddos get caught "being good" and the others can't wait to follow suit! I will be on the lookout for something similar to use next year.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your owl and cone. I will have to go on a prowl for the cone and maybe something ocean related (I will just have to think of a catchy slogan). Thanks for sharing.

    Heather
    room 4 imagination

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need that owl NOW! I did not see it at the Dollar Tree (and I have those same cones!- did we already have that conversation....?)

    I will try to find that owl. I love it- it matches my classroom theme!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just had those cones in my hands a few days ago and put them back thinking I will wait till the summer but after reading your post I may have to get them now. Love your owl too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What cute ideas! Going to be on the look out for both of them!

    Carla
    Surviving Sixth Grade

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top