Must-Read Mentor Text: Ella's Umbrellas

As the weekend draws to a close, I am gearing up for another fun, fast-paced week with my zany kiddos :) As crazy as it will be, I'm determined to enjoy every minute!

I'm linking up with Amanda and Stacia for their
"Must Have Mentor Text" linky
Collaboration Cuties

With all of the rain that we've been having these last few weeks, 

I pulled out a great one...
Ella's Umbrellas
by Jennifer Lloyd

Ella is a fun and feisty little girl with TONS of umbrellas -
every variety from "spotted, striped, aquamarine, even
jellybean green" :)
Blue Polka Dot Umbrella
Her aunt is coming to visit and her mom tells her that she needs to get rid of some of her umbrellas

At first, Ella is not thrilled. 
Give away her precious umbrellas? 
Never!
But it starts to pour and other people are in need.
Need of an umbrella.
As she starts giving them away, it gets easier and easier.
Ella learns about the joy that comes from giving - joy that spreads.
After reading the book, we review the book (recall and sequencing), discuss how Ella changes from the beginning of the book to the end, and the importance of sharing what we love.
We focus on the joy of giving rather than always receiving.
This is the type of joy that lasts.

Here is a FREE copy of the activities we use:

  
ALSO...
Jennifer Lloyd is a Canadian author from the province
that I was born in: QUEBEC!
 "Reading with Mrs. D" is hosting a "Booking Across Canada" linky where bloggers share about authors from their province or territory.
Now I'm not officially part of this blog hop
(as I'm not currently living in Canada)
but I wanted to join the fun anyway and
show off my Canadian pride :)

Happy Sunday, friends!
I pray it was both restful and productive!
For those of us teachers still in school...
Stay Strong! The end is in sight :)

Tricks of the Trade topic for this week:

9 comments :

  1. Love this book! Thank you for the freebie. I am totally going to use it. You are wonderful Jessica!

    Tina
    Crofts' Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this book with us. My new book list continues to grow. Thank you for the freebie!

    Foreman Teaches

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute book. My wishlist is growing a lot today!

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a wonderful book! Thanks so much for the freebie!

    Have a great week--
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks really cute! I sense a rainstorm theme going on...;)

    :) Kaitlyn
    Smiles and Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, how stinkin' cute is that book??? I have never heard of it! I love it already! And thank you for the freebie! I don't know how you make so many awesome things all the time! I'm always amazed!

    Have a great week, friend!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of this book but it sounds so cute! I love the freebie to go with it. I am pinning this so that I can remember it for next year :)
    Gina
    Third Grade Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great suggestion! It reminds me of Rainbow Fish :)
    I'll be following...
    Karli
    Creating a Thoughtful Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of that one. Thanks for sharing.


    Heather
    room 4 imagination

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.