Must Read Mentor Text: Back-to-School Ideas!

Happy Sunday, bloggy friends!
Today's "Must-Read Mentor Text" linky theme is...
Back to School!
Welcome Back to School
It's crazy - I just finished my first week of summer vacation and so many teachers are already preparing for the beginning of a new school year. We don't go back until after Labor Day.
School Kids at School
But, for those of you with "Back-to-School" on the brain,
here are a couple of my favorite books:
Splat the Cat
Amazon Blurb: It's Splat's first day of school and he's worried. What if he doesn't make any new friends? Just in case, Splat decides to bring along his pet mouse, Seymour, and hides him in his lunchbox. The teacher, Mrs. Wimpydimple, introduces Splat to the class and he soon starts learning all his important cat lessons. But when Seymour escapes and the cats do what cats do (they chase mice!), Splat's worried again. Maybe now he'll lose all his friends, old and new! Just in time, wise Mrs. Wimpydimple takes charge and teaches everyone an important new lesson. Maybe Cat School is going to be okay after all!
Here's a packet I have created to accompany
this great back-to-school book:
 Chrysanthemum
Amazon blurb: She was a perfect baby, and she had a perfect name. Chrysanthemum. When she was old enough to appreciate it, Chrysanthemum loved her name. And then she started school. "I'm named after my grandmother," said Victoria. "You're named after a flower." Chrysanthemum wilted. Life at school didn't improve. In fact, it got worse. Then the students were introduced to their music teacher, Mrs. Twinkle. Mrs. Delphinium Twinkle. And suddenly, Chrysanthemum blossomed....
Click HERE to read a blog post chock-full of ideas to use with this great book about the power of words and the lasting effect they have on people
 To go along with our Back-to-School theme, here is a fun 
Student Information and Interest Survey
I use to get my know my students the first week:

This week's Tricks of the Trade topic will be...
How do you keep your desk organized?
What do you use to organize supplies? Papers?
Or have you traded in your teacher desk for something else?
Link up your Tricks of the Trade on Thursday!


4 comments

  1. I love, love, love Splat the Cat!! He is just so adorable. I also love Kevin Henkes books. I've tried the toothpaste activity one time and really liked it. I can not link up on Thursday - my desk is a hot mess right now : ) maybe I will just read the posts and learn some new tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing all of your goodies! Love Splat!

    Have a great week--
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never used Splat that Cat! I wasn't sure if it was appropriate for older kids?

    I looooooooooooooove Chrysanthemum and use it in writer's workshop when we talk about the story of our name. So cute!!

    I can't believe that you go back to school after Labor Day. Sigh. I have 4 weeks left of break...oh my!

    On another note, I read your Friday post!! God is SO good!! Wow, Jessica! It gave me chills when I read it!! That was completely meant to be! So awesome!!

    Good luck getting ready for your move!! :O)
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you posted about Splat the Cat! After I'd already published my post today it hit my that I didn't include Splat, so I was hoping you would! My kiddos always get so excited when I break out Splat!
    ~Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top