What's the Time, Mr. Wolf? Telling Time Mentor Text

Happy Mother's Day!
I want to send out a big hug to all blogging mothers. 
What you do is hard. 
What you do is important. 
What you do is making a difference.
Persevere. 
Enjoy your children.
*I can't wait to join your club someday!*

In honor of Mother's Day, I want to give a shout out to my best friend, spiritual mentor, shopping partner, advice-giver, idea-bounder-offer...aka my MOM!
I'm so excited to spend the day celebrating her! :)

As I have said before (probably nearing in on 1 million times)
I *LOVE* children's books. I read them to my fifth graders every day. They love them. I think they are such a valuable tool in introducing and solidifying a concept before, during, or after a lesson. 

Today I'm linking up with Amanda and Stacia from Collaboration Cuties for their "Must-Read Mentor Texts" linky. 
This week, the subject is MATH.
Here's a fun one for teaching math - Yes, I believe that children's books can and should be used often, even in math! 
This is an oldie, but a goodie - I remember reading it in elementary school...

What's the Time, Mr. Wolf?
by Colin Hawkins

It is a fun POP-UP book that engages students in the day in the life of a wolf and teaches/reinforces the concept of reading clocks.

I have been troubled this year by how much my students struggle with reading analog clocks. They will constantly ask me throughout the day, "What time is it?" and when I point to the analog clock on the wall, they sneak over and peek at the "clock-out board" that has a digital clock on it.
Classroom Clock Out Clipboard

I couldn't believe it! 
"Don't you wear a watch?" I asked them. 
They smiled and pointed to their cell phones and iPods. 
I, at 24-years-old, suddenly felt very old :)
So we went back to the basics. I got out the plastic yellow clocks and we practiced. And practiced some more. This book was a fun part of our unit and it helped the kids recognize the different systems of telling time and how to distinguish between the two.

In the book, we follow Wolf through his day and see what activities he does at different times. Each page includes both a digital clock and an analog clock:

Often I will use a sticky note to cover up all of the digital clocks on the pages and have them tell me the time using the analog clock. Then they can self-check by lifting the sticky note. They really enjoyed the activity - and it gave them practical, hands-on practice that definitely improved their skills.

I also used this fun (and FREE!) activity packet
from Little Red's Schoolhouse:

Got a mentor text to use when teaching Math? 

And.... here's the topic for this week's 
"Tricks of the Trade Thursdays"
As the end of the school year dawns, I want to hear your ideas for gifts - gifts you give to students, to coworkers, to special's teachers, to administration, etc. Also, you could share one of your favorite gifts you've received as a teacher. 
These could be your original ideas or something you've found on Pintrest...aka the source of all truly great ideas :)

*Link up your ideas on Thursday!*

8 comments :

  1. Looks like a great book! Thanks for sharing how you use it with your students. Enjoy your Mothers' Day!

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time is so tricky for my kids too. They are "supposed" to know it by the time they are in 4th grade according to CC but I still spend a few days on it. This is a new book for me. I look forward to checking it out.

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have never heard of this book! Thanks or sharing!
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey
    Follow Me On Facebook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute book! I've been teaching long enough that we used to call analog time "stove time", because all of the stoves had analog clocks, but now they are digital.

    I have never seen this book either.
    Kristin
    Teachntex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time has gotten harder for kids since the invention of digital clocks (and cell phones). I love that this is a pop up book! How fun! You always share such fun books!

    What a sweet picture of you and your mom! I hope you had a wonderful day!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a very cute book. We play a game during our Morning Meeting called What Time is it Mr. Wolf so I know the kids would love this!
    Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a great book for time! Sadly, I think this skill is becoming lost and there is no mention of it at the 4th grade level in the Common Core. However, students need to know how to tell time! Thanks for sharing:)
    I love the pic of you and your mom:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a different version of this book. I will have to check it out since it shows both ways to display time! Such a cute picture of your mom and you! I hope you both had a great day!

    Gwen
    Learning With Mrs. Brinn

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.