Tried-it Tuesday: Finding Kind (Anti-Bullying Video)

Phew! Going back to school after a three-day weekend is rough, isn't it? I was a little out of it, my kids were zany, and the day flew by! Only 16 days left!


On Thursday we'll be back for another exciting 
"Tricks of the Trade"
This week's theme is...
Hope to see you there!


I'm linking up with Holly for her "Tried It Tuesday" linky party.
And Leslie from the awesome new website, teach junkie
Teach Junkie: Teaching Idea Tuesday - Lesson Plans, Activities, Tips
A couple of weeks ago I was contacted via e-mail by IndieFlix, a company that stores and promotes thousands of independently-made films. The film they contacted me about was "Finding Kind," a documentary about girl bullying.
It's an incredibly moving and heart-gripping video about the prevalence of girl bullying in schools across America. It is very raw and honest as different girls share the horrors of bullying.

Here's some background information on the documentary idea: 
"In February 2009, two young women, Lauren Parsekian and Molly Thompson joined forces having both been affected by female bullying throughout their youth and decided to create change by giving females a platform to speak out about this universal experience. What began as an idea for a documentary about girl-against-girl bullying, ultimately became Kind Campaign, an internationally recognized movement, documentary, and school assembly program based on the powerful belief in KINDness that brings awareness and healing to the negative and lasting effects of girl-against-girl “crime.”
The documentary follows Molly and Lauren as they travel across the United States and spoke with countless girls who had been affected by bullying in various forms. It was incredibly eye-opening as girls shared from their hearts about the trauma and long-lasting effects that bullying had on them. 
I spoke with my guidance counselor and we decided to show this to our middle- and high-school girls. It's an incredible prevalent, important, and necessary topic to discuss. This gave them an outlet to share their views, reflect on their experiences with bullying, and find support and healing.
Here's an example picture of a Finding Kind viewing:

I was given a special subscription code from IndieFlix.com
...and you can get one too! 

Think your students would benefit from this video?
I have been authorized to give out 
10 subscription codes 
to teachers or parents who want to watch this
thought-provoking film.

*Note: you may be a teacher of younger grades and think that the video would be over-the-heads of your kiddos.
And you're right.
But you can watch it with your daughters, your nieces,
your youth group, etc.


Enter here below:
The winners will be chosen on Thursday
a Rafflecopter giveaway 

5 comments :

  1. Wow what an awesome resource- thanks for the competition so we can get a chance to have it too!

    x Serena x
    Magic Mistakes & Mayhem

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always looking for more Anti-bullying material and love the sound of this video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teaching girls value and self worth truly is important, it takes care of so much of tearing others down to build oneself up. WE have a "girls on the run" program in our building and I think it's also a great way to work on this topic in the primary grades.
    -Leslie
    TeachJunkie.com
    KindergartenWorks.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing, Jessica! I am so worried about my daughter who just turned 6 today and all the pressures she will face as she grows. There are so many things that technology has added to the mix that I didn't have to deal with growing up. Thank you so much for sharing.
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper
    P.S.
    My poster storage system is pitiful! I don't even know what I could say to link up other than show my embarrassing mess! However, I will be back to check out other's ideas! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post is so relevant for upper elementary/beginning middle school students. This is a topic that needs to be explored and understood. Wonderful post! Your newest follower The Learning Lab

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.