Tricks of the Trade Thursdays: Bulletin Board Creation!

Happy Thursday!
I have been looking forward to today all week because...
My bud, Becky, from Compassionate Teacher,
and I are launching our new linky party:


Today's topic is...

Confession time: some people become teachers to
"see the light bulb go on,"
"to make a difference,"
"to challenge and inspire."

Why did I become a teacher...?
To create bulletin boards.

Well, that's not the only reason, but I do LOVE*LOVE*LOVE
creating bulletin boards in the classroom.
I change my boards about every two weeks (some more often than others) and try to work it out so that I don't change all of them at once :)

I am going to walk you through my process of creating a bulletin board, but before I do, I want to share five of my 
"Tricks of the Trade" 
for creating bulletin boards
My Tools:
^This are the tools I use to create a bulletin board^
I keep them all in that handy-dandy pencil pouch. That way, when I'm ready to put up a bulletin board, I don't have to go searching through my too-often disorganized desk- I can just grab the pouch instead.

In the pouch I keep my *stapler* - my most-trusted tool. My mom bought me one of those awesome easy-press staplers that opens flat so I don't have to slam it into the wall over and over again. I also have extra staples, a staple remover, and tape. I often use the tape to stick letters or pictures onto the board before stapling. That way, I can move them around and make sure that they are straight before stapling.
Creating Bulletin Board Space
I have four bulletin boards inside my classroom, but only one wooden mounted bulletin board.
How does that work?
I have "created" bulletin boards on blank walls using plastic table cloths and borders. I use the long rectangular plastic table clothes (I find them for $1-$2 and they last me all year) and cut them to the size of the bulletin board that I want.

This was just a plain wall, but now you'd never know :)

I also took my one huge bulletin board and divided it into two by using two separate borders.
I can make it one large board:
Or divide in into two smaller ones:
 
Types of Bulletin Boards
I have three types of bulletin boards in my classroom:
*click each board to visit the blog post they come from*
1. Displaying Student Work:
On any given week, two or three of my bulletin boards are covered with student work. Why? To show off their hard work! When they put forth effort on a project, I want them to feel proud of how it turned out. 
2. Reference Board:
These are boards that cover important topics or concepts that students can refer to during a unit of study.
If you missed my *freebie* yesterday, you can find it here:
 3. Interactive Board:
These are boards that students can use as a learning center. They take things from the board or move things around on the board. It is especially effective in engaging kinesthetic learners:
 
Letters
I get my letters for the titles of my bulletin boards
from four places:
1. My Cricut
I use my Cricut to cut out letters - just program and press "Cut."
It's so fast and easy!
Photo: Is using my Cricut to die cut letters for a bulletin board - so quick and easy!
2. Die-cut Letters
I am so blessed to live near a Learning Resource Center, a place for teachers to go and die cut, laminate, and check out resource books. They have six different die cut fonts that I can choose from. My teaching partner, Rose from Rosie's Rambles, and I go each Thursday.
*Note: When I create a title, I usually glue the letters down onto strips or large pieces of construction paper to save time when putting them on the board. It also helps when I want to take the board down.
3. Letters from the Dollar Tree:
I punch them out and keep them organized alphabetically in a CD case:
 
 4. The Computer:
 
Creating Titles
When I decide on a project that I want to display on a bulletin board, I want to come up with a catchy title that pops off the board, explains the project, and also gives my students something to think about. I often  told my kiddos what I had planned for this board and then challenged them to come up with creative title suggestions. I like to get suggestions from students for a number of reasons:
1. It involves them in the process and lets them take ownership of the board
2. It gives valuable practice thinking creatively, using alliteration, catch phrases, rhyming words, etc.
3. It boosts their confidence when their title gets chosen - and brightens their day each time they see it

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here is my step-by-step process for creating my latest board, "Appetizing Adjectives"
To accompany our study of adjectives, the students each brought in a picture of a food item and then have to write a persuasive advertisement for their food using at least five adjectives. 
It was a mouth-watering assignment!
First, I cut out my letters on the Cricut. I used a cute scrapbook paper print...just for fun :) 
I then glued the letters onto strips of black paper to make it easier to put up.
 
I then post the title on my board. I had both words centered, but then decided to put them on a diagonal. *Good thing I had used tape first - no staple-removing required*
When I was happy with the position, I stapled it down.
Then I added the clip art to add some pizazz to my board:
 Then I added the student work:
You can see my kiddos love pizza and candy.
Typical 10-year-olds :)
Here's a close-up of a couple:

Phew! What a post! I hope you can see my passion for bulletin boards :)
Thanks for persevering all the way to the end.
*Now it's YOUR turn!*
What are your "Tricks of the Trade" for creating bulletin boards?
Grab the button and link up!
*Everyone who links up will be entered into a drawing to win THREE items from my TpT store!*

13 comments :

  1. I love the way your store your letters. I am always fighting with them...I think organizing them like that will be a new summer project for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The CD case is definitely worth it - it has saved me so much time!

      Delete
  2. Oh boy...my post is not nearly as detailed as yours...I hope it's ok...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your post is WONDERFUL! I especially like your timeline - I am definitely going to "steal" that idea and adapt it for WW1 :)

      Delete
  3. Love the CD case idea! That'll be on my yard sale shopping list for the summer! I also really like the table cloth idea. Thanks!

    ~Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney!
      The CD case has saved me LOTS of time - I "stole" the idea from Pintrest :)
      I *LOVE* yard sales - I'm on the hunt each Saturday morning during the summer :)

      Delete
  4. Man, oh man!!! This post is amazing! Bulletin boards are not my forte and yours just amaze me! I linked up with my wee bulletin boards and will go back to hiding in my hole now:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly! Your post looks awesome - I especially love your "Whooray for Words" board. I've pinned that for next year :)

      I LOVE the letters - what Cricut cartridge is that from?

      Come out from your hole and join us again next week! :)

      Delete
  5. What a great linky you ladies have started. I love that you have all your supplies in a case - that is a great idea! I wish I had Cricut. I like your idea of putting the title on paper first - way easier to get it even that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The CD case has saved me a LOT of time - I "stole" the idea from Pintrest!
      I *LOVE* my Cricut - I think it's definitely worth the investment :)

      Delete
  6. I love the tablecloth idea! Do you use a glue gun to attach it to the wall? And the CD storage is genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin!
      Hi Erin!
      I staple the tablecloth to the wall and then staple a border up on top of it.

      I do use a hot glue gun to attach things on cinder block - I've tried everything (masking tape, sticky tack, etc.) on the cinder block and so far hot glue gun works the best! But make sure your poster is laminated before you hot glue it :)

      Delete
  7. Love all of these tips! I love my Cricut! Hate that I didn't get to link up this time...:( What will the next topic be? I want to be prepared to make sure I link up :)

    Jess

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.