Tricks of the Trade Linky: Field Trips

*Happy Thursday!*
Thanks for joining us as we share our
Tricks of the Trade!
I have LOVED reading your tricks - 
my Pintrest boards are ever-growing
as I read your posts and think,
"Wow! What a great idea!" and "Why didn't I think of that?" :)
The winner of 3 items from my TpT store is...
Link up #3... Ideas by Jivey!
Congrats Jivey! Peruse my store and
e-mail with your three choices.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This week's theme is...
Field Trips: how do you schedule them, organize them, manage them, etc. What types of activities do you do before, during, and/or after your trips?
 
Finding Trips:
I always try to find field trips that
connect to our curriculum is some way. 

Field trips can be so engaging, they extend what's being taught in the classroom, and make information come alive.
Plus...they're fun.
:)
But where do you find trips?
I look a number of places: flyers, Parent Magazine, grownyc.org (for trips in and around NYC), coworkers, parents, etc.
When in doubt, I google :)


A great website that I have used to
find trip ideas and activities is...

This is an awesome website that provides location suggestions,
as well as activities for before, during, and after a trip.

Preview the Venues
When possible, I always like to visit a venue before I take my students there. Websites can give a lot of information, but nothing beats going to the actual place to see it firsthand.
I observe the guides, tour the exhibits, and take notes of different things/areas I want my students to see/explore.


Virtual Field Trips

Can't get out of the classroom?
This is an awesome resource for Virtual Field Trips
http://teach123-school.blogspot.com/
Permission Slips:
I use one basic template for permission slips
and just make adjustments to fit the trip:
You can download this template by clicking here: Field Trip Permission Slip Template

Here's another basic template you can download from ChildFun
I always use a checklist to keep track of who has
turned in their permission slips and money:
Chaperons:
Choosing chaperons is very important when planning a trip. I typically have one chaperon for every 5-7 students. I usually accept the parent volunteers on a first-come, first-serve basis. However, if there are any students will severe allergies that require Epi Pens, their parents get first priority to accompany us on the trip. Also, if a parent has gone on a previous trip, and ask to go again, I give priority to another parent who shows interest.
Tips to give chaperons:
o Arrive on time for the field trip.
o Stay with your assigned student group at all times - do head counts frequently.
o Monitor the behavior of your group and make sure they follow the rules.
o Arrive at each program on time.
o Turn cell phones off or on vibrate while in programs. 
Engage students during a trip:
1. Guided Tours
When I take my students to a museum or historic location, I don't like to have my students just wander around aimlessly. When possible, I like to schedule guided tours with a knowledgeable professional who can engage my students and hold their attention while stretching their brains.
Students in Line with Brunette Teacher
2. Audio Tours
I have been to a museum where each student was given headphones and they got to explore different exhibits and listen to explanations of different artifacts and paintings. The kids LOVED it because they could walk through a room (with their chaperon) and focus in on the paintings they especially liked or were intrigued by. 
Girl Listening to iPod
3. Scavenger Hunts
Many field trip venues lend themselves to scavenger hunts. And what student doesn't like to be a detective on the hunt? Some venues (mostly art museums, I've found) offer scavenger hunts for the kids - you just have to ask. If they don't, then I create one. When I visit a venue before taking my students, I take notes and write questions they have to answer using different paintings/artifacts/etc. in the different exhibits. It gives the students purpose as they explore different rooms.
Pirate with Pirate Map
Re-cap after trips
After a trip, I always like to do a re-cap, or an extension of the field trip to solidify what we've learned, evaluate the location, and reflect on our behavior and overall experience.
I use a couple different activities:

This holds the student responsible for their own behavior and retention of information. Plus it serves as a fun reflection activity that foes in their portfolios!
You can download ALL of these Important Field Trip Forms for FREE from my TpT store.

Bonus:
I saw this and laughed right out loud...
Going to Target is definitely an exciting field trip for me! :)

Now it's your turn!

1 comment

  1. Wow! This is a lot of great information, Jessica!! Thank you so much for sharing the field trip form freebies too:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top