Sparking Student Motivation: Lawler LIVE!


I'm joining the cutie in high heels, Joanne, from
Head Over Heels for Teaching
for her fun Saturday linky party:
We all have to do class presentations, right? It's a great way for students to build confidence, work on their public speaking skills, share their work, and practice encouraging their classmates. 
Some students love presenting,
while others dread speaking in front of others. 
To keep presentations interesting and make students more eager to present, I've started a classroom talk show...
"Lawler LIVE!" 
I am the host (obviously) and call up students to interview when they are sharing a project, a journal entry, or a piece of writing. I also use this to interview special guests who come into the classroom for Readers are Leaders month, etc. The students practice proper audience skills while showing respect and encouragement to their classmates. We've made up a theme song for the show :) and students can do "commercial breaks" where they advertise for different books they've read, various events we're studying in history, etc.
I display this sign when I'm getting ready for another exciting "episode" and the kids cheer!
I pull out my handy-dandy microphone 
(very official looking, I know!)
and ask leading questions to get the kids comfortable
and then let them share their writing, project, etc.


I also choose one student for a highly-coveted job...
Sign Holder! :)
I have a two-sided sign that I choose a student to flip: When they hold this side, the students cheer! 

This keeps the kids under control and reminds them when they should be silent and respectful.
Got some good tips for presenting projects?
I'd love to hear them!
Hop on over to share your Motivation-Sparking Ideas!

This is the final weekend of my 200 Follower Giveaway - please enter! :)

5 comments

  1. That's such an awesome idea! I can see why the kids love it so much. Thanks for sharing!

    :) Kaitlyn
    Smiles and Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very cool. I love the idea of it being a LIVE show. Your kids must have a blast with it.

    matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Jessica! (As always!) So cute and I bet the kids get so excited to present, not nervous! I love your signs too! Thanks for calling me a cutie in high heels-you made my day! Thanks for linking up and sharing a wonderful idea!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love everything about this! Definitely bookmarking it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a beautiful story about creativity, compassion and encouragement. Everyone needs motivation to perform better . Thanks for sharing these great ideas .

    Motivational Speaker

    Regards
    Mark Duin

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.

Back to Top