Sparking Student Motivation: Clean Desk Fairy

A student's desk: 
Home to folders, books, and pencils.
Also home to leftover snacks, broken crayons, and empty water bottles.
I am often amazed at the crazy/gross/unexpected things I find in a student's desk.

I expect their desks to look like this:
But too often find this:

Today I'm going to share an idea that motivates my students to clean their desks regularly and keep them organized:

Introducing my little helper...
The Clean Desk Fairy!
Valentine's Day Fairy
Every couple weeks I, I mean the The Clean Desk Fairy does random desk inspections. 
She flutters about the classroom and if she finds a desk that tickles her fancy (clean, neat, organized, no loose pencils, crayons, papers, etc.), she leaves a little treat:
Right now she leaves Pixie Sticks (her wand) on desks that she deems clean and tidy. 
At different times of the year she leaves different treats - I usually try and choose candy that I don't like so I'm not tempted to empty the bag myself :)

 Here are some free cute desk fairy notes you can use:

The Clean Desk Fairy comes on all days of the week and has even been known to come twice in one week - or even two days in a row! That really threw my kiddos for a loop :)

How do you motivate your students to keep their desks clean?
Link up with Joanne and join the fun!

ALSO - before you go, don't forget to enter my 

4 comments :

  1. Very cute idea. :). I actually have tables but maybe I could do their cubbies.
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an AMAZING idea! I am totally saving this for next year! (Maybe I'll throw it in for the end of this year, too!) THANKS so much for sharing :)

    Amelia
    wherethewildthingslearn

    ReplyDelete
  3. That desk fairy is one busy lady....she visits my classroom too! :)

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I have a desk fairy too, but I must use that wand idea! Love it! It seems so easy to keep such a small area clean right??? Thanks for linking up Jessica!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Thoughts? Leave a note below: I LOVE comments! I like to reply to comments via e-mail (so we can start a blogging friendship). Please check your settings to make sure you are not a No-Reply Blogger. Contact me with questions.